What's growing on your property for your sulcatas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
I was checking out EVERYTHING on my property that's good for my kids here...and what's toxic! Fortunately, EVERYTHING toxic is out-of-reach...but here's a list of what I'm growing for the sulcatas...

GRASS
various fescues
bluegrass
bermuda (separated in its own partition...it will take over any lawn)

WEEDS/GROUND COVERING
dandelion
black medick
ice plant
white clover

FLOWERS
wild roses (3 bushes)
honeysuckle (1 huge bush/vine)
rose of sharon (minus one since Mortimer cimbed an 18 inch planter and pulverized it...now down to 2)
hibiscus (1 bush)

SUCCULENTS
aloe vera (2 medium plants)
opuntia nopal (spineless)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Desert mallow, filaree, wild mustard, hawksbit, 4 types of foxtail grasses, burr clover, spineless opuntia, "pineapple" weed, dandelion, several "dandelion type things", roses, hibiscus, rose of sharon, organpipe cactus. I know there are more, but that's all I can think of off hand.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Aw man! I remember burr clover...that was like half our front lawn when I lived in Pasadena...memories:p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
DeanS said:
Aw man! I remeber burr clover...that was like half our front lawn when I lived in Pasadena...memories:p

Yeah, I never had a use for it until just recently when I saw it on an edible list and someone here (Yvonne, I think) mentioned it was edible too. Now my wife's not allowed to pull it up anymore. Unless she's pulling it to feed the tortoises.

So far my hibiscus are still alive. They usually burn up by this time of year, but its been so unusually cool, that they are still alive. Haven't seen any new flowers for a couple of weeks though.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Dessert mallow, three kinds of prickly pear, deer grass, roses, and bermuda grass. Now If I could get them to eat any of it without mazuri seasoning.

M

Maggie Cummings

I planted grazing tort seed mix, that's a group of different grasses, Russian tort seed mix, that's broadleaf weeds, plantain, Rose of Sharon, zucchini plants pumpkin plants and several different squashes. Those are mostly grown for the blooms, Bob loves them and I think they are good for a tort. And he likes the leafs. I try to grow a couple of pumpkins just cuz I enjoy it. I also planted a s***load of different lettuces that are just now starting to come up, there must be 100 of them. I just threw the seeds out.
There's more but it's my bedtime now...:p

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
GREAT! I'm just getting ready for work...GRAVE SHIFT at the Shelter!

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Tom said:
So far my hibiscus are still alive. They usually burn up by this time of year, but its been so unusually cool, that they are still alive. Haven't seen any new flowers for a couple of weeks though.

Reminds me of my magnolia trees.... It's borderline too hot for them here, and too dry, but I love the trees (I send the fallen leaves to a dart frog buddy of mine who uses them in his cages). I remember last summer, I was working out there, and in the course of a single day, the big white flowers slowly opened, looked great for an hour, and burned to a crisp before the sun went down.

Status
Not open for further replies.