What's normal behavior?

Budbud62808

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
I'm still new here. I've been reading post after post and gaining so much valuable information!! I'm wonder what you box turtles normal behavior is. Our box turtle is pretty old. My husband has had him for 25 years and he got him from a schmo teacher and we don't know how long she had him. He is the most social turtle I've ever seen. He will eat out of our hand. He will strut all over our living room. He isn't the slightest bit afraid of our 80lb dog who sniffs him and barks at him. When being carried he cranes his neck out so he can see around, even when my 2 or 5 yo carry him. Just wondering if it is normal for a turtle to be soo friendly.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Not sure about boxies but both mine follow me outside and my sulcata loves her "butt" scratched :)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I have two box turtles. One is bold and outgoing as you describe. The other is a bit more shy. Neither is so shy as to close up in the shell and stay there. The shy one might occasionally go inside but comes out almost immediately. When food is around neither is shy!...lol

99redballoons

I have one box turtle and he is friendly with people he knows , if someone he doesn't know tries to carry him or even look at him he retracts or walks away but if my husband , my kids or I get close to him he's so friendly and outgoing.

TurtleTab

I've had many box turtles and they all have different personalities. In fact, I love watching my box turtles. Some are stubborn and some are shy. I had one that used to eat everything from my hand. I had one that will stare at me, look down at the dry waterway, and then look back at me...like telling me he wants some water right now! The same one will rush to the food I give him, sniff it, if he doesn't like it, he will walk all over it, sit on top of it, and stare at me. Like telling me this is not what he wants today. Ive had that turtle for 21 years. Some are bold, some are dominant, some are scared, some are determined and stubborn and refuse your attention. They are picky eaters, too. Some will hold out until they get exactly what they want to eat. Some will only eat their favorite foods. I had one turtle that picked the green pellets out of the multicolored turtle pellet food. Some turtles crank their necks to loosen your grip on them so be careful. I've have turtles try to bite me because they want to be let go. But I've also had turtles that would strain their necks just to get closer to the outdoors as I was walking them out (before I kept them outdoors). You could see their eyes widen with excitement, seriously.