What's the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
FLORIDA
What is the difference visually between a galapagos and an aldabra? I know the size difference that the galapagos is bigger, but what is another thing that helps tell the difference?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It has to do with eye/nostril placement. On the aldab, the eyes are above and behind the nostrils. On the Galops, the eyes are behind, but in line with the nostrils. Most Aldabs have a nuchal scute while all galaps don't.

galop notice the eyes on the same line as the nostrils:

8-16-11galop.jpg

Aldab nostrils below eyes:

8-16-11aldabran.jpg

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
emysemys said:
It has to do with eye/nostril placement. On the aldab, the eyes are above and behind the nostrils. On the Galops, the eyes are behind, but in line with the nostrils. Most Aldabs have a nuchal scute while all galaps don't.

8-16-11galop.jpg

8-16-11aldabran.jpg

Outstanding emysemys, very nice photo's.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I enjoy learning new stuff on this forum..Yvonne thats cool, I didn't know the eye's can tell so much...

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
emysemys said:

8-16-11galop.jpg

8-16-11aldabran.jpg

Cool, ty so much emysemys :D I have always got stumped on those two for some reason. That helps a lot!

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Ok, I have another one for you since you helped me so much with my first question ;)

What is the visual difference between the Russian and Greek tortoise? I go into a pet store and see what I think looks like a Russian and it turns out is a Greek :( If there is anyway to point out the difference in the two that would be great!

Please help...... again :rolleyes:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not good with the Mediterranean tortoises. You'll have to get this answer from someone else, sorry. I am able to I.D. them for myself, but I'm not able to describe the differences for anyone else. To me Russian tortoises always look a little beat up, rougher than a Greek. Young Greeks are shiny and pretty while Russians look rough and beat up. Not much for you to go by, huh...sorry.

TonkaLuv

5 Year Member
Virginia
My husband and I recently went to the National Zoo in DC. They have a few Adab's there. I could not believe how big they were!!!!! I mean wow!!!!! They had one there that was quite large, and another that looked, well, a bit like a volks wagon! We couldn't believe the size. I look at my baby redfoot Tonka and think "Boy am I glad you won't get that big!" lol. Although.....having a tort I could ride would be pretty cool! :p

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
I always look for a nuchal scute on the Aldabra, it's missing on a Galapagos.

-Matt

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
matt41gb said:

-Matt

Not all aldabrans have one though. Of my two boys, one has a nuchal scute and the other one doesn't.

Iliketuwtles

5 Year Member
Very interesting! Learning the difference between the similar species/subspecies has become a goal of mine. I like to be that person that knows random facts about random things. Interested in hearing about the greeks/russians. :)

TonkaLuv

5 Year Member
Virginia
matt41gb said:

-Matt

Dumb Newbie question: What is a nuchal scute? :

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
drgnfly2265 said:
Ok, I have another one for you since you helped me so much with my first question ;)

What is the visual difference between the Russian and Greek tortoise? I go into a pet store and see what I think looks like a Russian and it turns out is a Greek :( If there is anyway to point out the difference in the two that would be great!

Please help...... again :rolleyes:

All of the Meds look very similar as babies, but as adults, they're easier to tell apart...Russians tend to be very round, when viewed from above, and flatter, when viewd from the side, and don't get as large as Greeks, Hermann's, and, especially, Marginateds, but will get a bit larger than Egyptians:

russian-tortoise-0008.jpg

Greeks vary in color a lot:

Pic%2014%20-%20Golden%20Greek%20Tortoise%20-%20Jan%20O..jpg

greek-tortoise.jpg

GreekTortoiseIbera001.JPG

Web-Tortoises-Greek_HiContrast-3-14-06.jpg

and tend to be more or less oval-shaped, as do Marginateds and Harmenn's tortoises.

Marginateds look like WWII German helmets and are the largest of the Meds:

Ae06Testmarg1.jpg

Hermann's look kinda similar to some Greeks:

hermann.jpg

but can be easily distinguished by the fact that Greeks have one or, occasionally, two spurs on the back of their thighs, while the Hermann's tortoise has a spur on the end of it's tail.

Finally, the Egyptian tortoise can vary somewhat in coloring, but is the smallest of the Meds:

egyptian_tortoise_1.jpeg

Egyptian-tortoise-dorsal-view.jpg

Egyptian-tortoise.2.jpg

Hope this helps a little. :tort:

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
emysemys said:
matt41gb said:

-Matt

Not all aldabrans have one though. Of my two boys, one has a nuchal scute and the other one doesn't.

Interesting! Thanks for clearing that up for me.

-Matt

TonkaLuv said:
matt41gb said:

-Matt

Dumb Newbie question: What is a nuchal scute? :

Scutes are the rings that make up the tortoise's shell. The nuchal scute is the tiny ring that sits just above the neck of some turtle and tortoise species. Aldabras usually have one.

-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.