Whats the right tortoise for me ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

FWC

10 Year Member!
I live in Central Canada ,so roughly 7 months of cold indoor weather.

Space is workable.

I would prefer either a leopard or marginated ,however I am willing to consider a forest tort as well.

Any help as to my choice in tortoise ??

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I would go for a smaller tortoise. russian greek or hermann.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Due to your climate and likely size constraints during the winter I would go with an Eastern Hermanns, Ibera Greek, Russian, or Marginated. All of these will be much better suited to move inside for the winter.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Another vote for one of the Europeans, with an Eastern Hermann's as top choice, Iberian running a close 2nd.

Leopards are going to be tougher to keep inside.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
If you really want one that you mentioned, you may be able to keep a cherry head. They require quite a bit more humidity than the mediterranean tortoises everyone else mentioned but you definitely can't get a tortoise that gets as big as a leopard and expect to keep it indoors that long.

I don't know much about cherry heads though so you'll probably want to look into it more before taking my word for it :p

ssydney

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Hi. I would aim towards a Russian tort, or you could even try a Redfoot if you'd be okay with having to keep up the humidity constantly. They are both great species, and I'm sure you would enjoy them. :)

FWC

10 Year Member!
Thanks everyone !!

Now I have a few more questions. I guess a leopard is out of the question due to size constraints ,so now to hone my information :p

I honestly hate to say ,but I would rather avoid a Russian or Iberian ,as I simply find the marginated to be a much more appealing animal to myself.

So in terms of personality ,how friendly are the marginateds ?? I have heard that they may be quite shy ,which might influence my decision to get a forest tortoise.

The nice thing is that the humidity is quite low here ,which works well for a european tortoise in a table ,as opposed to having to build a large enclosure to keep the humidity up for a forest tort.

SWDK

5 Year Member
Poconos, PA
I'm in the same boat as you and these wonderful people on the forum helped me decide on the right tortoise for me...an eastern Hermanns. Good luck in your quest for a suitable new friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.