What's the significance of your tortoise(s)'s name(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
My wife has named most of the torts because Im not into giving them names. She has done a good job though
Redfoot male- Henry the horny tort. U can guess right?
Redfoot male- Roger- Dont know why
Female Redfoot - BIGRED - Voted tort with the most personality - by me
Female Redfoot - She started out as "no name princess" now Princess
Radiated Ricky
Radiated Rad

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
bigred said:
My wife has named most of the torts because Im not into giving them names. She has done a good job though
Redfoot male- Henry the horny tort. U can guess right?
Redfoot male- Roger- Dont know why
Female Redfoot - BIGRED - Voted tort with the most personality - by me
Female Redfoot - She started out as "no name princess" now Princess
Radiated Ricky
Radiated Rad

Roger is a good name for an enthusiastic breeder...

bakexlove

5 Year Member
I named my Russian tort Herman because he looks like and old man and it sounded like an old man name. I named him before I even bought him.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Bob (CDT) bobbed his heas when he/she was a baby, Shelby(CDT) had a pinched shell when she was a baby (fine now), Trudy Just fit my three toe, Waldo (box turtle) is hard to find. The two three toe babies don't have names yet, but my son wants to name one Fluffy. Gecko #1 my son named him Smallz, Gecko #2 Her name was Lil Wayne I thought that was lame and changed it to Lily, Gecko #3 was named Buddy, but my dog is Buddy and he looks like his name would be Gunther and if he could speak he would sound like Arnold Schwartzinager....Gunther just fit.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Eros--> God of Love and Passion. He has a Heart shaped spot on his front Scute and was a ValentinesDay gift.

Gaia--> Earth, Mother. Emile was the 1st Leopard hatchling I fell in love with and she wasn't even mine. She is of the Earth and the Mother of my Desire for a Leopard Tortoise. So I looked and I found Eros. I paid for him and waited.

Being a Blessed Child of the Goddess, Emile needed a new home at the same time I was to recieve Eros, within 24 hrs in fact.

According to Hesiod (c. 700 BC), one of the most ancient of all Greek sources, Eros was a primordial god, i.e. he had no parents. He was the fourth god to come into existence, after Chaos, Gaia (the Earth), and Tartarus (the Abyss or the Underworld)

I have almost always named my pets after Gods because of my everpresent interest in Mythology. If these 2 pets outlive me....and they should! Then I belive naming them after Primordial Gods was the correct choise.

point of intrest... I have only ever re-used a name and that name was "Arioch" Lord of Chaos (any Michael Moorcock fans out there?). Both times to a male cat (both about half crazy!). and within weeks of naming, they both died tragic deaths...I figure Arioch has serious problems having his name used in such a manner.(But it's such a GREAT NAME!)

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Kristina said:
ShadowRancher said:
Haha...good idea! On the way home from the reptile show with a little sully in a deli cup my friend Pierce just said, we have to name him something...monolithic. And of course I just looked straight back and said the first thing that came to my mind, Leviathan...I call him Levi because he's not quite deserving of that name yet :) which has of course lead to my roomie constantly calling him Leviticus (not because she forgets but because she thinks it's cooler...which Leviticus is a pretty cool name)

I used to have a Dwarf Puffer (read less than an inch big fish) named Leviathan :) I miss that little fish, he was something else. I loved to feed him snails. I lost him in a power outage, and have owned a couple since, but none of them have had his personality.

Sorry for the O/T, lol ;)

I used to have dwarf puffers, I love those things to death they are sooo tiny with such big personalities :)

jkingler said:
Rorschach is named as such because I love the character Rorschach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rorschach_(comics)

Like her namesake, my tort is an odd, funny, forceful, and semi-misanthropic girl, and she patrols her territory mercilessly to make sure she knows what's what. Also, her belly looks like an inkblot, and Hermann (lol) Rorschach is the man who popularized the use of ink-blots to reveal insight into the psyche of an individual.

I feel like Rorschach is to the Watchmen what Wolverine is to the X-men....that is, everyone's favorite ;) he's definitely the best!

I just realized I could explain the names of my future babies here too! I'm getting three stars so I figured I needed celestial body names soo Orion and andromeda are obviously constellations and Persephone has always been one of my favorite Greek figures so I decided to fudge it and say that counted because she had a planet named after her in Firefly....I figured fictional planet in my favorite TV show ~= a celestial body :D

FBody355 said:
Awesome meaning!

Thanks! ;)

lauren43201

5 Year Member
Crown Point, Indiana
My lil guys name is Donatello (original i know;p) basically because that's my favourite ninja turtle and it just seems to fit him perfectly! :3

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
My tort's name is rocky. We named our shih tzu 12 years ago rocky and sadly the construction crew let him out and we never saw him again :'( so i decided to name him rocky in his memory <3

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I really don't name mine. If they have a name when they come to me, they keep that name, but I have a lot of no-name animals. I used to call my Aldabrans "the bigger one" and "the smaller one," and one of our members named them BO (the Bigger one) and SO (the Smaller one).

One of my Manouria came to me with the name Magumba. That just isn't a seemly name for a female tortoise, so I re-named her Maggie.

I have some rescues that I've hung onto, and they usually are called by the city they came to me from. One of my female leopards is Cincinnati.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
emysemys said:
One of my Manouria came to me with the name Magumba. That just isn't a seemly name for a female tortoise, so I re-named her Maggie.

What did your sister, Maggie, think of that? :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We had a Welsh Terrier who's name was Maggie too. My sister complains about me naming my animals after her, but too bad. The name is not copywritten.

frankie

5 Year Member
My family acquired a Desert Tort from a home that had many in their back yard (In Las Vegas). It turned out to be sick so my Mom took him back and forth to the Vet (many times to get shots..) in a Henry Winehards 12- back box. ...We named him Henry.

(Henry is happy and healthy- about 60 years old now and living at my Ex - house with my Ex... I have visitation rights. :)

Years later, I acquired a baby DT... I named him Sam (Adams)" to keep the tradition going.: Sam is about 15 and lives in my back yard.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I have two cherryheads:

Rafiki - means comrade/friend. Rafiki is a bulldozer, though he/she is still a bit shy about head scratching and handling...

Coagi - this is a hybrid name from the Latin root cog- (to ponder/think) and Coatimundi (a neotropical "raccoon"). Coagi seems to always be processing things, so it fit well.

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Orlando
I named my two red foots after my favorite band, The White Stripes, members. So Jack and Meg are my babies.

EddieW said:
I named my two red foots after my favorite band, The White Stripes, members. So Jack and Meg are my babies.

Jack and Meg White to be more specific. Though I don't usually call them by they're full name but sometimes I do. :D

itsmeshell

5 Year Member
Stumpy as part of his leg was missing when I got him. How could I name him anything else?

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
Well my little Horsfield (or Russian) tortoise is called Misha, it is unisex as we are still not sure of sex (I am currently thinking girl but she is just far too small to know!) and it is Russian!

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
I love video games. And one of the main names that I grew up with was Bowser from Super Mario Bros. and knew that would be perfect for my tort :D

Katherine

5 Year Member
Wow you guys are so creative. I have a ton of nameless tortoises and turtles! Of all the shelled creatures in the backyard only about seven have names, and even those we don't use regularly. Only Chester and Frankie 'come when called' so all other names are futile.
Chester and Franklin came to me with those names, Thurman Murman I named after the fat kid in the movie Bad Santa, because he is a little bit 'special' and got bullied by the girls when we first got him. BarbieObbie used to be a Bobby until she proved herself very female. I have a Chicago(was named by a little boy who returned her when she got too big), Atopy(for all the hair he doesn't have), Double Dot (number of dots on her shell when she hatched), Mr Clean (very pale unmarked shell, actually a mrs but who is really counting). And then I've got everyone else...

princessbubblegum

5 Year Member
My Russian tort's name is Tootsie Roll. I just got her 4 days ago :) She came with the name Roxy, but she didn't really look like a Roxy to me. I was expecting a boy to name Nemo, so I had no female tortoise names picked out. I wanted to name her after a candy. I started calling her Snickers but it didn't seem to fit. Then I decided she looked like a little Tootsie Roll! :tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.