wheatgrass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Good question, I checked my lists and did not find it on the good or bad list. I would like to know myself, there are lots of pretty ornamental grasses that I wonder about. I hope someone can help.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Wheatgrass is excellent for them.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
I, too, gave wheat grass to Morty. It is for sure on the "OK" list [in several places]. Being in NJ, the winter seems to go on forever, so when I found the wheat grass in 'whole foods' I was very happy and so was Morty.

preston897

5 Year Member
thats great! i did not notice it on the lists that i have looked at. ill have to try that then when i get my sully at some point

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
I tried it with my sully and he wouldn't eat it. But my birds were very happy to get it.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
TortieGal said:
I tried it with my sully and he wouldn't eat it. But my birds were very happy to get it.

Try chopping it up a little and adding it to something else he does like...that'll do the trick.;)

preston897

5 Year Member
what do you guys find that is pretty common for your sullys to LOVE?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
preston897 said:

Mine will eat just about anything. I've always given them a huge variety since they were hatchlings. With all that I've learned here in the last few months they are getting more variety than ever.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
preston897 said:

Various weeds and grasses. When my tort had to stay indoors, they had a morning routine that involved eating a small mountain of spring mix with much gusto. Now that they're outside, I still offer spring mix, but they'll walk right past it to search out certain weeds. Clover and dandelion flowers are very popular, but for some reason so is plain ole grass. The spring mix only gets eaten towards the end of feeding time, right before they head to a hide for a nap.

preston897

5 Year Member
what do you guys thing of having small containers in their indoor cages with plants growing in the to keep in their inside cage? so they can grazy indoors...

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
preston897 said:

Grasses, weeds and cactus...they NEVER turn 'em down....also grape and mulberry leaves.

As specific grasses go...all fescues, bermuda and wheatgrass...but that's just here on the West Coast...I tried and was unsuccessful at growing orchard grass and timothy...I don't think they can handle the near-freezing winters here (in Antelope Valley).

preston897

5 Year Member
i wont have any issue growing things. i live in north texas. a few things like hibiscus will die. and bremuda will turn brown in the winter. how is dried bremuda for them?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
EXCELLENT...they need dry grass fiber as well...and it'll save you a fortune in hay...not that hay is all that expensive...but you get my point!

preston897

5 Year Member
oh yea i understand. i figure in the summer i will have to buy hay. but what would be a good idea for green plants in the winter? what growns good in the winter? as far as the indoor cage goes when he is young...could i plant some grasses in small pots in there so he can just graze inside of his cage?

moswen

5 Year Member
preston897 said:
what do you guys thing of having small containers in their indoor cages with plants growing in the to keep in their inside cage? so they can grazy indoors...

At my local petsmart or petco (I go into them both equally so I can't remember which store carries them) they will randomly have a small round two tiered stand that carries succulents and forrest plants in little 2 inch pots for terrarium planting, and when they do I buy one or two of each species (of the succulents, not the Forrest plants!) they have and plant them in my indoor baby enclosure, they're usually gone in 3 days or less! I also have a bunch of turnip seeds that grow into sprouts in 2-3 days, I plant them in the top of an old strawberry container and all I ever see of those is a long pale stem with the little top leaf bitten off, which tells me it's time to scatter more seeds!

I also grow the sulcata seed mix in their indoor enclosure but I have only seen my babies eat that the first few weeks they came to me, they seem to have moved on to better foods. Now I just see them sitting under the long grasses.

preston897

5 Year Member
yea i will grow some things and see how long they last in the cage haha. probably not long.

Status
Not open for further replies.