When to soak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlotte

5 Year Member
Lickity spent her first full day outside today from hibernating. Just soaking up sun, no interest in food yet. I expect her to be out for good at this point--all this week is supposed to be warm.
When should I give her a soak/drink? ASAP? Wait a couple of days??
Thanks!
-C.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I say early and often, but I always make the first few after hibernation shallower than normal and just room temp.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
They say drinking after hibernation is more important than eating. Helps flush toxins from their system. As roachman says, early and often!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Mine will not drink when I put them in water. I have to run the hose and then they put their heads down and drink. You can also turn on the sprinklers. Hearing the "rain" triggers them to get a drink. If yours doesn't take a drink from soaking, try this method. Good luck! :)

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Last year, mine went into sprinkler voluntarily....and then she really seemed to have come alive.
Maybe you can play w/water?

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Mine are too stupid to drink. They almost never drink, maybe 2-3 times a year.

MadLoca

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
My DT drank water right when he woke up and as soon as i put him in a bowl 2 soak he was in there for about 5mins or soo......he love it!!!

Then he ate right after, walked the yard, then layed in the sun =)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Fernando drank the other day when I was watering the yard. I made a puddle like Yvonne had told me to do and he went right over and put his head down in the water and stayed there for the longest time. Of course I had to keep going back and filling it back up again. :D They kind of remind me of Camels the way they drink. :p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
My CDT will not drink from a container and soaks are useless for me, he only drinks when I water my yard, but they say a good soak is usually good for a tortoise that just came out of hibernation.

Status
Not open for further replies.