When to stop soaking daily???

Rhea

Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
I have a question about my Russian Rolo. He is a year and 4 months and was wondering if I still need to soak him everyday? I’ve had him for a year now and still soak daily. He’s a healthy boy I should say. He’s weighs 450+ grams, up from when I received him about 400 grams. Which brings me to is he too big too fast? Also do I need to worry about MBD. He has a cuttle bone he munches on occasionally. He never would eat the food I powdered with supplements.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Generally speaking, I soak daily until they reach 100 grams. After that, I start skipping days now and then. For a 400+ gram Russian, two or three times a week is plenty for any time of year in any climate.

No harm is done by continuing to soak daily, or more than 2-3 times a week.

If he won't he the food with powdered supplements, you are using too much initially. Use such a tiny amount and mix it in so thoroughly that he doesn't know its there. Let him get hungry for a day or two if need be. Fall is not the time to do this. Save it until he/she gets ravenous in springtime.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Generally speaking, I soak daily until they reach 100 grams. After that, I start skipping days now and then. For a 400+ gram Russian, two or three times a week is plenty for any time of year in any climate.

No harm is done by continuing to soak daily, or more than 2-3 times a week.

Would you say that 100g benchmark translates to redfoots?

Jamie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Would you say that 100g benchmark translates to redfoots?

Jamie
Yes. Any species. For me, its is just a useful generality. Once a tortoise hits 100 grams with consistent growth, I tend to rest a little easier that they are doing well, and they have the body mass and water reserves to withstand a day or two of drier conditions with no ill effect.

The 100 gram benchmark is arbitrary, but it serves as an easily remembered number to use as a guideline.