When will he "show" if you know what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
Hey I'm very curious as to the sex of my tortoise because I want to set him up for some loving later on but I don't want to buy two torts to get the same sex. So I was wondering at what age will they start standing tall, showing off parts lol. That would be the way to see his sex for free. Plus I don't want to take him to surgery is cruel.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
There is no real time frame neither is it guaranteed, some never flash.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's the answer I have been able to gather from all the info on here. Could be years, could be never:(

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Makes sense cause I don't flash my parts lol so whyshould he

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Well if your tortoise is a female it will never flash but if your tortoise is a male it really depends because not all tortoises mature/grow at the same pace.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
One fine day, your maiden aunt will be having a garden tea at your house with all of her spinster friends, or your two delicate, curious little nieces will be visiting, or you'll take your tort to a grade school classroom to show to the students as part of their reptile unit. When you least expect it and are least prepared for the "WHAT'S THAT?????" question, your tortoise will flash!!!

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
RE: When will he "show" if you know what I mean.

Edna said:
One fine day, your maiden aunt will be having a garden tea at your house with all of her spinster friends, or your two delicate, curious little nieces will be visiting, or you'll take your tort to a grade school classroom to show to the students as part of their reptile unit. When you least expect it and are least prepared for the "WHAT'S THAT?????" question, your tortoise will flash!!!

HAHA!!! I laughed SO hard!!! XD murphy's law at it's finest..

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Haha you know he will flash at the least appropriate time

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Flashing is basically a hormone-laden 'teen-aged' behavior that not all torts engage in. When they do, it is the early phase of sexual maturity- about 4-8 years depending on the species and individual growth rate (maturity is based more on size than age in tortoises.)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
turn down the lights
light some candles
put some cool music on
hand him the remote and tell him Victoria Secret runway show is coming on and then move out of the way...

lol...absolutely could not stop myself---like I was watching a stranger type away....so fricken weird... :p:p

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Haha that is funny I'll let him know it's coming on haha. He does watch tv lol. He will sit there calm when it goes off he runs away. It's like he was into it he's moststill during hells kitchen haha fooood

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
ascott said:
turn down the lights
light some candles
put some cool music on
hand him the remote and tell him Victoria Secret runway show is coming on and then move out of the way...

lol...absolutely could not stop myself---like I was watching a stranger type away....so fricken weird... :p:p

Thats how I get HENRY going

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I had suspicions on one of my Leo males who is about 7 years old and 13" scl. I put the sprinkler out the other day and he attempted to mount my female (on the side though). Then I saw him chasing her around again the other day. Yesterday morning when I picked him up to move to the breakfast area, there was NO DOUBT he was a male, and WOW was I surprised. Guess he's not a baby anymore. :D

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Lol I wouldn't know what to do lol probably apolagize for bothering him lol an walk away.

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
walking away blushingly and embarrassed? lol

I thought there were ways to know the sex though? At a certain weight, size or age? Or will that me more like a 90% guess?
I want to know for mine too... Indian Star, 222grams (0,5 pounds), about almost 2 years... size not sure, haven't measured in a while :D maybe 3,5 inch...ish.
Any chance for any educated guesses yet? (If yes I shall update pictures)

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Oh there is ways visual ways but my guy is still only a year old an small so no way just yet

Status
Not open for further replies.