Where do you buy flowers???

naturalman91

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
just curious as i'm seeing a lot of people with flower's that look bought that they feed to there tort's where are some of the place you buy these from? and do you feed right away or do you cure them first? thank's in advance for any and all reply's

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I have purchased them from asian grocery stores. You have to make sure not to get the ones from flower departments. Only buy from the produce department or the ones marked edible. Lots of places sell boxes of rose petals in the floral area. Do NOT buy these. They have been fertalized and sprayed to last longer. Not good eats for your tortoise.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Can this count as "flower"?

IMG_0001.JPG

Costco. $16.99. My wife got it yesterday.....Costco; from time to time we found some nice plant with good price. we will soon to put this in one of indoor enclosure but not for Tortoise to eat.

Last edited by a moderator:

naturalman91

10 Year Member!
Medford Oregon
would it be better to just buy seed's and grow the flowers myself? i'm kind of clueless when it comes to growing anything i mean i get the basic's water and sunlight but what about organic soil what would i use?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Nasturtians are good and easy to grow once you get them started. Hollychock and Mallow grow pretty good. You can order dandelion and clover seeds pretty cheap online as well. Most of that stuff grows pretty easy if you have a place to grow it that is. Trying to grow anything from seed or small plant in the actual tortoise enclosure is pretty hard. They LOVE sprouts and will eat every one as soon as they see them.

naturalman91

10 Year Member!
Medford Oregon
Saleama said:
Nasturtians are good and easy to grow once you get them started. Hollychock and Mallow grow pretty good. You can order dandelion and clover seeds pretty cheap online as well. Most of that stuff grows pretty easy if you have a place to grow it that is. Trying to grow anything from seed or small plant in the actual tortoise enclosure is pretty hard. They LOVE sprouts and will eat every one as soon as they see them.

what would you try growing it in? i'd imagine you can't add anything to help the plants grow right? like i said i have NO real knowledge in plants i have some spider plants in my enclosure in pots that have coco coir in them would that work?