Which is the best small and indoor tortoise?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You can't really go by "small tortoise." For example, a small Russian tortoise is quite a good 'first tortoise,' however a russian tortoise requires a very large enclosure because he's hard-wired to wander over great distances searching for food. Even though he has a plate of food, he still has that innate desire to wander.

So do you want a "small" species because you don't have room for a large enclosure? There is no such animal, I'm afraid. All of them need a lot of space.

Currdawg12

Kentucky
You can't really go by "small tortoise." For example, a small Russian tortoise is quite a good 'first tortoise,' however a russian tortoise requires a very large enclosure because he's hard-wired to wander over great distances searching for food. Even though he has a plate of food, he still has that innate desire to wander.

So do you want a "small" species because you don't have room for a large enclosure? There is no such animal, I'm afraid. All of them need a lot of space.

Well it’s just I want one I can keep in a 6x2 or 6x3 closure and I plan on building it! I want one that’s active but when I say small I don’t want a huge heavy turtle I can’t just pick up with one hand and move around

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
I replied to your other thread about the indoor enclosure and which species needs the smallest amount of space.

Again, IF you're willing to make part of the indoor enclosure into a water feature, there are a number of turtles you can consider that can make use of both land and water. Some of the smaller North American box turtles are good candidates. I would also suggest researching the various Asian box turtles (some are more aquatic, some are more land based), as well as Central American wood turtles (smaller than North American wood turtles, but just as smart and interactive). I've heard of wood turtles and Reeves turtles being "puppy-dog tame."

That might expand your range of choices a bit. :)

Currdawg12

Kentucky
I replied to your other thread about the indoor enclosure and which species needs the smallest amount of space.

Again, IF you're willing to make part of the indoor enclosure into a water feature, there are a number of turtles you can consider that can make use of both land and water. Some of the smaller North American box turtles are good candidates. I would also suggest researching the various Asian box turtles (some are more aquatic, some are more land based), as well as Central American wood turtles (smaller than North American wood turtles, but just as smart and interactive). I've heard of wood turtles and Reeves turtles being "puppy-dog tame."

That might expand your range of choices a bit. :)

What about a 2 level 4x4 with a ramp going from one 4x4 to another? I haven’t built a table yett but if it comes down to it I’ll just build a 8x4 and yes I’ll have an outdoor setup for him when the weather in Kentucky gets warm

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
For a winter setup and a smaller occupant, I like the idea of the 4' x 4' with the ramp fine. Make sure the ramp is wide enough and not too steep (or else you might have to wrap it around with a landing at a corner). You could put mesh, egg crate, Plexiglas, lattice, or something similar along the sides of the ramp to keep the tort/turtle from falling off. Plan for lighting and climate control/monitoring on both levels.

I have a young box turtle, and I periodically consider ways to upgrade her indoor accommodations. I keep thinking about how to give her an upstairs to free up room for a larger (but still fairly shallow) water feature in the downstairs. :)

Currdawg12

Kentucky
Vladimir has a good second level enclosure.

I would love to see it! I plan on getting two 4x4 pieces of ply-wood and cutting 4x4s into 2foot sections and using those as legs. Screw those into the corners of the ply wood then take eight 1X6s and use that as the walls! Make two separate 4x4 tables so its easy to move! Then just stack them when I get it where I want them. And if she/he don’t like it then I can just take the one off the top and put it next to it and cut out a section of one of the walls and now I have a 8x4 :)

Currdawg12

Kentucky
For a winter setup and a smaller occupant, I like the idea of the 4' x 4' with the ramp fine. Make sure the ramp is wide enough and not too steep (or else you might have to wrap it around with a landing at a corner). You could put mesh, egg crate, Plexiglas, lattice, or something similar along the sides of the ramp to keep the tort/turtle from falling off. Plan for lighting and climate control/monitoring on both levels.

I have a young box turtle, and I periodically consider ways to upgrade her indoor accommodations. I keep thinking about how to give her an upstairs to free up room for a larger (but still fairly shallow) water feature in the downstairs. :)

Lighting is just a UVB tube light and basking bulb for a hermanns right?

adamninja

Melbourne
I did some Googling, wow the Egyptian tortoise cost around $900 to $1200. So it could only attain a size of approximately 4 inches which is nice I think for a small enclosure.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Hi guys! Here's the thread that documents the start of my idea through construction. A sulcata is obviously a much bigger project, but I'm very happy we went with this set up. Vlad will go up and down the ramp multiple times a day when he wants to spend some time in his night box. It's adorable.

https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/163087/

I suggest making the ramp longer than you think you need to, and make sure there is plenty of grip on the ramp. My ramp is 6 foot long to go up 2 feet, and it was almost too steep for him initially.

I screwed some rubber door mats into the ramp for added grip.

Let me know if you have any questions! [emoji217]