whistle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizladyluna

5 Year Member
Hello! I just posted an intro in the intro forum. Tory is a 3ish year old sulcata tort. About a week ago he had a bout with a bit of constipation (we figured out the cause and corrected, seems he needed a new uvb bulb) but since then he has a bit of whistle when he is breathing. So far in my research I haven't found a set of symptoms that matches what's going on here (so in my research I found lots of forums but liked you guys the best. :)). His nose is not running at all, and when I listen there isn't a hint of respritory distress (pops, crackles, congestion, etc.) But he has a sharp whistle, VERY audibe on his inhale, but not his exhale. Any ideas? I'm wondering if he's got something up his nose? Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
He should be big enough that you can shine a bright light in his nose and take a look. You might even take the pointed end of a flat tooth pick and GENTLY probe in there. You can also buy a little squirt bottle of saline solution...they sell them in squirt bottles in the contact lens department of the pharmacy, and squirt it up each nostril. Don't worry about choking him, as the other end of the nostrils is in the roof of his mouth, not down his throat.

M

Maggie Cummings

Are you soaking him? It sounds to me like he's gotten something up his nose and if you can't find it I suggest a Vet. Soaking every other day is something you should be doing anyway...

Mizladyluna

5 Year Member
And so, after 4 days of grave concern, tory wandered out of his hidey hole this morning with NO whistle! I'm guessing whatever was stuck is now unstuck, and whew! Thank goodness! Thanks for the help and advice!

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
I am curious how a new uvb corrected a constipation problem. Can you tell me more about what it was that lead you to this conclusion.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
Dizisdalife said:
I am curious how a new uvb corrected a constipation problem. Can you tell me more about what it was that lead you to this conclusion.

The UVB helps with their digestive tract work better, I believe bc of the Vitamin D it supplies. I don't have all the facts on hand, but hopefully that should help get you started.

Mizladyluna

5 Year Member
Basically that's it... a bit more detailed, but that's the main idea. Just constipation could be any number of things, it was all the symptoms together that made me think the uvb would correct the issue. If it hadn't worked when it did, tori was going to the vet the following day infact :)

Status
Not open for further replies.