White bugs everywhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown/Hutto/Austin,Tx
Ok so I was misting down my enclosure today and I noticed one or two white bugs.upon closer inspection I catch them everywhere moving in and out of the dirt! They are tiny and they seem to bounce around.So question is this normal or are they harmful to my torts? :/ I'm moving on Friday so all this dirt is getting tossed and the new enclosure is going to have fresh stuff.thanks guys they are kind of creeping me out I hope they aren't harmful.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have them in my box turtle enclosure but I don't mind them in there, but I just noticed them in with my Hermanns which I dont like. They are not a problem but I am going to switch out the substrate and clean it good before I add more...

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Well I flipped out when I saw them and soaked the torts and checked them and I didn't see any white bugs on them but they are defiantly in the dirt.Now that I know they are there I want to toss it all but then I wouldn't have anywhere to put them till I move into my new place unless I use paper :/

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
you can soak it all in really hot water to kill all the bugs then let the substrate dry out and it should be good after that

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
They are not going to harm your torts :D and while they are a bit creepy to us humans (think it is a primal thing relating bugs to death...lol)...they come in with dirt/soils/produce and the tortoise itself if ever brought outdoors for yard time..... :D

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
dalano73 said:
you can soak it all in really hot water to kill all the bugs then let the substrate dry out and it should be good after that

That is quite a bit of dirt to soak o.0 my enclosure is a good 4ft long and a the dirt is about 1.5 inches deep.

Would they be ok on paper for 3-4days while I move an set up their enclosure?

ascott said:
They are not going to harm your torts :D and while they are a bit creepy to us humans (think it is a primal thing relating bugs to death...lol)...they come in with dirt/soils/produce and the tortoise itself if ever brought outdoors for yard time..... :D

Well that's a relief I just don't want the it itching/biting them or anything.When I think about a bug crawling around on me 0.0 if they are ok then I guess I won't do anything about it.I just wish their werent so many probably came in the dirt I made sure it was natural with no added stuff.But natural usually means buggies too :/

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The most common ones found in the soil are decomposers that handle breaking down the poo....left over food particles etc.....:D and you may also find a worm or two if you really get adventurous.......it can become quite the awesome little world going on in there......I think in one of my RFs enclosure there are a couple of worms and a little beetle......I keep looking because I am laying odds on how long it will be before the RF makes a snack of it...lol

A side note...I have had to get use to the buggers and such since the little RFs came into my life.....you will get use to it...and if not then you will be changing your substrate once a week if not more....hahaha...:D

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
ascott said:
The most common ones found in the soil are decomposers that handle breaking down the poo....left over food particles etc.....:D and you may also find a worm or two if you really get adventurous.......it can become quite the awesome little world going on in there......I think in one of my RFs enclosure there are a couple of worms and a little beetle......I keep looking because I am laying odds on how long it will be before the RF makes a snack of it...lol

A side note...I have had to get use to the buggers and such since the little RFs came into my life.....you will get use to it...and if not then you will be changing your substrate once a week if not more....hahaha...:D

Well changing once a week would drive my fiancé bonkers so I guess in going to be getting used to it lol now in second guessing putting them in my new dining room though buggies while I eat :/ maybe the living room would be better

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
So another question same subject.Since I'm going to be building a new table for my Sullys at the new house I was wondering is there any substrate that produces less buggies.i mean I would like to keep the feel natural and I do want to grow grass in this new enclosure so any ideas.Part dirt part what?

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
I found a caterpillar in some of my soil... Creepy. I hope you can deal with bugs :))

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Ashliewood said:
I found a caterpillar in some of my soil... Creepy. I hope you can deal with bugs :))

Lol I'm starting to not mind then so much besides extra misting them in hopes they drown lol I am hoping someone can suggest a mix that will allow me to grow grass and keep the buggies to a minimum.

grogansilver

5 Year Member
:tort: I use these Guys in my Enclosures to break down any Pooh that is left behind that i miss, plus they love to eat the remaining lettuce! you can either catch them or order them on line, they call them potato Bugs/Pill bugs either or there a reptiles best friend to have in an Enclosure they eat the mess and they can be eaten on top of it....( great stuff)! :tort:

tortoise-kid

5 Year Member
I have the same kinda bugs in my Red Foot's enclosure. They don't seem to harm him and when I do get rid of them they just come back. But to get rid of them for a while if you want you can freeze your substrate or get a new batch.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I was going to say some people freeze and some people bake the substrate. Thats what I will do if I ever find any. Bugs FREAK me out! Cant stand them! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.