White marks on tortoise shell between schutes

Foxxyg1990

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, England
Hi i have a small horsefields tortoise named sheldon. He has started to show white marks around his schutes. Could this just be growth like a finger nail or is it something abnormal? Ill put a pic on so u can see 1407187359736.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
White between scutes is new growth. The other squiggly type marks that I see in the pic too are normal.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Agree with Wellington! Completely normal! He's looking a bit pyramided, though. Can you tell us about his care?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, looks like he needs a bit more moisture in his living conditions. The squiggly lines are normal, but the bumpiness can be smoothed out by setting him up in a more moist/humid environment.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Foxxyg1990

Manchester, England
I got him in April for my birthday. I currently have him in a small vivarium. Which i know isnt right. Im going to get him a 4ft tank soon as we dont have room for a tortoise table table. I feed him home grown weeds and tortoise supplements. And i have had problems with his eyes lately as they seem to get quite dry. The petshop where i got him from said if i keep the heat mat on at night this will stop him having sticky eyes. And it seems to have worked. I bathe him once a day at the moment