White Red foot?!

Grace-Sophia

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
My one year old red foot baby has some white on her head and the top scutes of her shell. Her humidity is kept between 65-100 (65 for the dry period of the day, and 80 most always, recently I have bumped it up because of this issue but it is not getting any better.) Her temps are 80 ambient, a little bit lower on the cool side and 95 under the basking spot. She has two hides, a water dish, and a 5ft enclosure all to herself. What could be the issue? She is also fed a variety of different foods like mushroom, bananas, berries, collards, mustard, Romain, spring mix, arugula, bell pepper, tomatoes, cucumber and squash. Among others. She also lives outside during the warmer months where I spray her soil with water to higher the Texas humidity even more.

Attachments

• 83577879-3F11-4769-B92A-A31124B71147.jpeg
    83577879-3F11-4769-B92A-A31124B71147.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 84458F89-C870-4DE8-B573-3E85378B9921.jpeg
    84458F89-C870-4DE8-B573-3E85378B9921.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
100% humidity is too high. is the plastron okay or does that also have some white?
5 foot is not very big for a RF. A russian which stays much smaller needs a 4x8 foot.
You could try athletes foot cream on it and see if it clears up. It looks like a fungus but with that high of a humidity I would think the plastron would be affected more then the carapace.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I don't see any issue there
I see some mineral stains. No fungus and no other abnormalities. Is the plastron normal? (The underside)
95 is dangerously hot for a Redfoot.
The diet is great. And 100% humidity is OK temporarily. This reading is probably a local reading near the gauge. I've seen it before in my closed chamber enclosures especially first thing in the morning.
70% is your target.

Grace-Sophia

Texas
I don't see any issue there
I see some mineral stains. No fungus and no other abnormalities. Is the plastron normal? (The underside)
95 is dangerously hot for a Redfoot.
The diet is great. And 100% humidity is OK temporarily. This reading is probably a local reading near the gauge. I've seen it before in my closed chamber enclosures especially first thing in the morning.
70% is your target.
Really only 70% geeze I’ve never relized. I’ve tried so hard for the few months I’ve had her to keep it between 80-90% but I have been having difficulty doing so even in a closed chamber as it seems to not even be that high for long, this is why I opt for 100% because in about 30 minutes or so it’ll be back down at 80%

Also @ZEROPILOT what is the correct temps? I guess I was just so used to testudo torts. Yes, plasteron is absolutely gorgeous and a bright vibrant yellow and black.

Grace-Sophia

Texas
100% humidity is too high. is the plastron okay or does that also have some white?
5 foot is not very big for a RF. A russian which stays much smaller needs a 4x8 foot.
You could try athletes foot cream on it and see if it clears up. It looks like a fungus but with that high of a humidity I would think the plastron would be affected more then the carapace.
Yes. Her enclosure she has now is currently temporary until she outgrows it, as she is only about 3 inches now. She also lives outside during the summer (through early fall due to the crazy Texas weather) so the space she has now is simply a bed until she gets too big for it. I plan on making her a large enclosure from scratch when she gets too large for the indoor one and am planning on the best way to do so when the time comes. I received her as a rescue back in April (she seems to have a few scars on her shell from where she was dropped, I’ll post pictures later of it if you would like) she currently seems to be more comfortable in a “cozy” space where she feels like she can hide and be more secure (due to previous trauma. I am also working with her to get her more comfortable around humans) and she is also still a baby so having a couple hides like she does makes her feel safer. But rest assured, she has LOTS of wiggle room lol!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Really only 70% geeze I’ve never relized. I’ve tried so hard for the few months I’ve had her to keep it between 80-90% but I have been having difficulty doing so even in a closed chamber as it seems to not even be that high for long, this is why I opt for 100% because in about 30 minutes or so it’ll be back down at 80%

Also @ZEROPILOT what is the correct temps? I guess I was just so used to testudo torts. Yes, plasteron is absolutely gorgeous and a bright vibrant yellow and black.
The temperature needs to be 80 to 88f.
82 to 84 is ideal.
Humidity of over 70% is what you are aiming for (70-90%+) as long as the substrate remains relatively dry. Generally that is accomplished by using several inches of coco coir or Orchid bark (my choice) and pour a bit of water into the corners. The lower layers will absorb the water and humidity is released through evaporation. Eventually you'll get the routine figured out about how much water and how often you need to ad more. Misting will no longer be required.
Neither of those substrates gets moldy easily in a constantly moist condition

Last edited: