White spot on Leopard tortoise head

Givengrace23

Location (City and/or State)
Somerset PA
Hi, we are new tortoise owners. We rescued a leopard tortoise. We aren’t really sure about much with her (age, health history). All we know is that she was kept in a tank her whole life that literally wasn’t much bigger then her and she was fed what looked like dog food. We have done a lot of research about leopard tortoises and she’s been with us for about a month and has been doing awesome! She is she a cool girl. We noticed the other day she was getting a white spot on her head and it’s now bigger...it looks like the skin has peeled off there. Sorry if this is a stupid question but we are still learning all about this girl. Do tortoise shed there skin? Is this normal or should we have a vet look at her?
and don’t worry about the tank she’s in now. It’s a 55 gallon tank but she actually roams our house for 3/4ths of the day and has her on personal heat areas she goes to. The tank is just what we keep her in for now when we leave and at night. We are in the process of building her a nice big tortoise table.

Attachments

• A333799E-527E-4B81-9F5C-989F84092DE4.jpeg
    A333799E-527E-4B81-9F5C-989F84092DE4.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I will alert @Yvonne for the spot. It's not normal and could be just the one head scute affected and now that it's off maybe will heal, but see what Yvonne says.
As for the roaming the floor, that is a very bad idea. We have seen too many times injuries and death to tortoise people thought was okay to let roam the floor. Ita not okay. It's too cold and dangerous. Needs to be in a proper sized, heated and humidifier enclosure. A. Closed chamber would be best for another year or two for this one. Also she is too small to sex so she could be a he.
Read the caresheets for leopards or even sulcata and closed chamber threads and adjust accordingly.

Givengrace23

Somerset PA
Thanks for the info. I understand the risks of her being out, but I also don’t believe she should live her whole life in a small cage. She loves being out and we actually set up 2 areas that have heat lamps where if she gets cold she goes to. She really seems to enjoy being out and I should state that our house is never below 70. She roams a bit then goes to her area with heat lamps and UVB lights and hangs out for a bit. And although I say she “free roams” it’s not like she is loose around the whole room. We have one living area she is contained in. But I do appreciate the info as we are still learning :) we were told that humidity is not good for her, is that not true? I know baby tortoises need them but I really don’t know how old she is.