White swirls on carapace

Beks

Location (City and/or State)
West Yorkshire, England
Hi, I'm new to the forum.

I got a Horsfield Tortoise a few months ago. She wasn't kept in ideal condition, she had no UV light, access to pellets ad lib, kept on what looked like cat litter and a poor heat lamp. She slept for the first 5 or 6 weeks we had her, but now she's awake. She eats well, we give her a mix of lettuce; rocket, watercress, mixed salad (florette) etc, with calcium powder too. She loves her bath time, and we have her on tortoise life soil. We also bought her a new heat & uv combined lamp. We let her out around the flat so she can get some exercise.

She has some pyramiding on her shell which she had when we got her. But recently we've noticed these white marks on her shell. Are they normal? We're worried that we might be feeding her too much? How much lettuce should she be getting everyday? The previous owners said she's 4 years old . I haven't weighed her yet, I need to get hold of a weighing scale.

I got some photos of the white marks last night when she was under her light.

IMG_0432.JPG
IMG_0435.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

tort_luv_5055

Location (City and/or State)
New York (USA)
Re: White spots

I am no expert, but I have had my tortoise for a few months now and he has those spots. I think they only show up when there is new growth. There is nothing to worry about, though, my tort has those and he is completely healthy. Its not overfeeding though, I am sure of it. My best guess is that new growth is coming in to counter the pyramiding. I am not positive though, soon an expert will come and help you out.