white urine - again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eighttrack

5 Year Member
I read the quote from the general post and am pasting a copy of it at the bottom of this for those who haven't read it.

I've heard that the white stuff means:
1. They are getting enough water
2. They are getting too much protein
3. They aren't getting enough water

I have owned Turbo (Russian) for 4 years. She pees the white stuff frequently. My daughter just got a Russian a month or two ago. Her's pees but it doesn't turn white.

I would like some feedback please. Thanks. I have a link to youtube in my signature. It was taken a couple of years ago.

Quoted from The Reptile Channel:
Tortoises produce urine and urates. Urine is the liquid portion stored in the urinary bladder. Urine contains waste products and toxins that are filtered from the bloodstream. Reptiles also have one more type of excretion product, called urates or uric acid. This is the end product of protein digestion and is also stored in the urinary bladder as a creamy, off-white pasty semi-solid. In reptiles, uric acid is cleared from the bloodstream by the kidneys. When the tortoise urinates, it will pass the liquid urine and the semi-solid urates at the same time. A tortoise may urinate and defecate at the same time, which may leave urate deposits on the fecal material. This will make the feces appear as if it is white or off-white.

Status
Not open for further replies.