who am i ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tczar

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
el paso tx
A friend found this tortoise on a west texas street, any ideas?

Attachments

• 685.jpg
    685.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 92

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Man looks like a really old an very large species of berlandier (Texas tortoise) they look a lot like redfoots when there younger and juvenile but look a lot like a desert tortoise when older. That's a beaut. Any chance a picture of the plastron to be 100% on my guess?

tczar

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
el paso tx
tortadise said:
Man looks like a really old an very large species of berlandier (Texas tortoise) they look a lot like redfoots when there younger and juvenile but look a lot like a desert tortoise when older. That's a beaut. Any chance a picture of the plastron to be 100% on my guess?

thx, will have him get a picture sent to me soon and post it.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Cool. Just make sure he puts it back in a very remote place. Texas torts are very rare on the Texas side of their territory. And be careful they stress real easy and it's very illegal without proper permits to even touch them. So get as many photos and get him back to the wild. :) preservation is key to their survival.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think its a Texas tortoise. It looks more like a gopher tortoise to me. Texas tortoises have a big indented space where a nuchal scute would be. And the desert tortoise isn't as yellow as the one in the picture.

I think its someone's lost pet and you should make signs and ask around the neighborhood where it was found.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I keep looking at the photo. It's a tough one. I have seen a Texas tort a very old one look like this. But it does have more of a Florida gopher look. More photos will help a lot.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Arrrgghhhh....my son has the laptop so I can't see the pic very well...especially with these old lady eyes....lol....so I will just go along for the ride..:D

Status
Not open for further replies.