Who knew?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I've lived a very long life, over 80 years, and much of that time I've had a cat or two along the way.

Well yesterday I took Charlie to the vet because he was looking unthrifty. I THOUGHT it was because one of his canine teeth was canted out at a bit of an angle. I thought it might be loose and causing him pain.

Charlie 3-16-17.jpgCharlie 4-6-17 a.jpgCharlie 4-6-17 b.jpg

The vet said that some cats are allergic to tooth tartar, and looks like that's what's wrong with Charlie. The canine tooth is healthy and firmly rooted, but there are open sores in his mouth due to being allergic to the tooth tartar (stomatitis). Who knew there was such a thing. In all my years of caring for cats, lots and lots of cats, I've never encountered this problem.

The vet sedated Charlie and cleaned his teeth. He said if this doesn't help clear up the open sores, he'll need to be taken to a feline dentist and have ALL HIS TEETH EXTRACTED!!!!!

Yesterday's visit cost $300. I can only imagine what a full mouth extraction would cost.

So I'm off to the store today to buy some Gerber strained meat and hopefully Charlie can eat that. I ordered Friskies pureed chicken and tuna from Chewy.com too. Chewy is good about sending out your orders quickly, so I should have that in a couple days.

Poor Charlie!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I've lived a very long life, over 80 years, and much of that time I've had a cat or two along the way.

Well yesterday I took Charlie to the vet because he was looking unthrifty. I THOUGHT it was because one of his canine teeth was canted out at a bit of an angle. I thought it might be loose and causing him pain.

View attachment 346022View attachment 346023View attachment 346024

The vet said that some cats are allergic to tooth tartar, and looks like that's what's wrong with Charlie. The canine tooth is healthy and firmly rooted, but there are open sores in his mouth due to being allergic to the tooth tartar (stomatitis). Who knew there was such a thing. In all my years of caring for cats, lots and lots of cats, I've never encountered this problem.

The vet sedated Charlie and cleaned his teeth. He said if this doesn't help clear up the open sores, he'll need to be taken to a feline dentist and have ALL HIS TEETH EXTRACTED!!!!!

Yesterday's visit cost $300. I can only imagine what a full mouth extraction would cost.

So I'm off to the store today to buy some Gerber strained meat and hopefully Charlie can eat that. I ordered Friskies pureed chicken and tuna from Chewy.com too. Chewy is good about sending out your orders quickly, so I should have that in a couple days.

Poor Charlie!
Poor kitty...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, I never heard of that either and I worked for a vet years ago.
Not sure though, if he has to have them all pulled, why you would need a specialty vet. Any vet should be able to pull teeth. Before doing the specialty vet, i would either talk to your vet or shop around for a regular vet that would do it.
Weird that it just now shows too.
Good luck with it. Poor kitty. At least he gets some yummy food.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow
I've also never heard of this
Yeah, I really didn't believe the vet, but I came home and asked my friend Google, and sure enough, it really is a thing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow, I never heard of that either and I worked for a vet years ago.
Not sure though, if he has to have them all pulled, why you would need a specialty vet. Any vet should be able to pull teeth. Before doing the specialty vet, i would either talk to your vet or shop around for a regular vet that would do it.
Weird that it just now shows too.
Good luck with it. Poor kitty. At least he gets some yummy food.
My vet is a bit miffed at me because I don't have a cell phone. He told me I was "wasting his time" because he actually had to walk out of the office to my truck to talk to me (Covid stuff, ya know?) I'm sure! Yeah, Doc, I'll run right out and buy a cell phone, spend $50 a month for a device that sits on the charger or dead in my purse, a device I NEVER use, just so that when I come to your office on my once or twice a year visit, you can talk to me on a cell phone instead of having to walk out to my truck to talk. Yeah, right!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My vet is a bit miffed at me because I don't have a cell phone. He told me I was "wasting his time" because he actually had to walk out of the office to my truck to talk to me (Covid stuff, ya know?) I'm sure! Yeah, Doc, I'll run right out and buy a cell phone, spend $50 a month for a device that sits on the charger or dead in my purse, a device I NEVER use, just so that when I come to your office on my once or twice a year visit, you can talk to me on a cell phone instead of having to walk out to my truck to talk. Yeah, right!
Oh wow. I don't think our vets are doing covid protocol at this time.
I see why you looked it up. I would have too..

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica

Poor Charlie!
Since the vet cleaned his teeth, maybe the stomatitis will go away, and Charlie will be just fine! I guess you will see soon enough what has to be done or not. Good luck to you and Charlie!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Sad situation you have there Yvonne. Rocket my little turtle finding 13 year old pup has bad teeth and the mobile vet I use suggested antibiotics to help clear them up. And also I'm wondering if there is a product out there that can be used to reduce the build up of tartar that can be given orally with either food or water. Look into a mobile vet that services your area, Yes they charge extra for the house call but charge less for the procedure for what ever you need done. I just last month had Cowbird one of my new puppies neutered and it cost $316 and didn't have to leave the yard. And it was less stressful on Cowbird, Good Luck with Charlie who is a beautiful kitty.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
At the store this a.m. I found Friskies pate with extra gravy. I mashed it together with the gravy to a slurry consistency and Charlie was able to eat with no pain.

Thanks, Len, for the mobile vet idea. Dr. Sue Lynch used to be the vet at our zoo and now she's a mobile vet. I'll give her a call and get her opinion on abtibiotics, or any kind of tartar inhibitor.

gep0322

Platinum Tortoise Club
Birmingham, Alabama
That makes me mad 😡. Who does he think pays his bills. Every Veterinarian I know makes big money. He needs to get down off his high horse and treat his customers and there pets with more respect.
He could kiss my A., and I would be finding a new Vet!!!
Gerry

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD

Poor Charlie!
This April I had to have my dogs teeth extracted. My 15 yr old had all 42 teeth removed because of tartar and infection. My 12 yr old dog had 32 teeth removed for the same reason, they are Irish Jack Russell's. The estimate before Surgery was $10,000 to $12,000, when surgery was over the bill was just about $8,100. They could have said $12,000 and I would have had to pay it, I do feel like I saved some money on the surgery. He said my second dog wasn't as bad as the first. Now my dogs eat mostly soft food, the 12 yr old dog with 10 teeth still has trouble chewing. Had their teeth cleaned a few years ago, cost $2,100 just for cleaning at that time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Charlie has been eating ok, but a couple days ago I saw him take a few bites (or rather laps with his tongue) then jump down and run away. When I called him he ran from me too. So I guess the sores are back.