Whoo Hoo!! EGGS!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
A couple years ago @Will took the Manouria emys phayrei home to San Diego, but I kept the Manouria emys emys (1.1) here. Both of them are pretty young, with the male maybe a couple three or four years younger than the female.

Last summer the female scraped up a nest of sorts (her first time) and then deposited her eggs and continued scraping, breaking all the eggs in the process. Oh well, first time. She needed a bit more practice. I wasn't too bummed out because I had seen no breeding activity, figuring Duc (the male) just wasn't ready yet.

For the past week or so Rajkumar (the female) has been showing a lot of interest in the nesting site I made for her - a nice covered area piled high with leaves and dirt. But she never scraped any new nesting material into the area, just dug around a little and sat there daydreaming.

Tonight while I was going around making sure everyone was tucked in for the night I noticed Misty (my faithful dog companion) showing particular interest in the Manouria waterer. I looked over the fence and saw that Rajkumar was sitting at the edge of the water looking in, and I thought, "Misty must want a drink but she's afraid of the tortoise." So I hopped the fence, and this is what Misty was interested in:

Manouria eggs 7-30-18 a.jpg

Misty is my egg sniffing dog. Only trouble is, she hasn't yet learned that the eggs are MINE!, not hers. There were 46 of them in the water, with several totally broken and two just cracked, but beyond repair. And Rajkumar was sitting at the side watching me carefully, but not interfering with my egg rescue operation.
Manouria eggs 7-30-18 b.jpg

I ended up with 39 very large eggs. They will sit on my 80+F degree kitchen counter while I'm getting the temperature in the incubator adjusted for them. I really doubt they'll do any good. I still haven't seen Duc show any interest in being a boy, and I don't know if sitting in the water harmed the eggs any. The protective slime coating was totally washed off in the water.
Manouria eggs 7-30-18 c.jpg

Just a note of explanation on that water. I give them fresh water daily, but because it is recessed into the ground, and there is loose dirt all around outside it, the first time the tortoises step into it, dirt goes in too. It doesn't normally look as bad as it looks in that first picture. (Yvonne looks away, embarrassed)

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Wow, nice night fine. Hopefully a few out of the 39 will be good, worth a shot. How big are the pair?

Kyle

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The female is about 30lbs and the male is half her size.

Alena

5 Year Member
A couple years ago @Will took the Manouria emys phayrei home to San Diego, but I kept the Manouria emys emys (1.1) here. Both of them are pretty young, with the male maybe a couple three or four years younger than the female.

Last summer the female scraped up a nest of sorts (her first time) and then deposited her eggs and continued scraping, breaking all the eggs in the process. Oh well, first time. She needed a bit more practice. I wasn't too bummed out because I had seen no breeding activity, figuring Duc (the male) just wasn't ready yet.

For the past week or so Rajkumar (the female) has been showing a lot of interest in the nesting site I made for her - a nice covered area piled high with leaves and dirt. But she never scraped any new nesting material into the area, just dug around a little and sat there daydreaming.

Tonight while I was going around making sure everyone was tucked in for the night I noticed Misty (my faithful dog companion) showing particular interest in the Manouria waterer. I looked over the fence and saw that Rajkumar was sitting at the edge of the water looking in, and I thought, "Misty must want a drink but she's afraid of the tortoise." So I hopped the fence, and this is what Misty was interested in:

View attachment 246730

Misty is my egg sniffing dog. Only trouble is, she hasn't yet learned that the eggs are MINE!, not hers. There were 46 of them in the water, with several totally broken and two just cracked, but beyond repair. And Rajkumar was sitting at the side watching me carefully, but not interfering with my egg rescue operation.
View attachment 246731

I ended up with 39 very large eggs. They will sit on my 80+F degree kitchen counter while I'm getting the temperature in the incubator adjusted for them. I really doubt they'll do any good. I still haven't seen Duc show any interest in being a boy, and I don't know if sitting in the water harmed the eggs any. The protective slime coating was totally washed off in the water.
View attachment 246732

Just a note of explanation on that water. I give them fresh water daily, but because it is recessed into the ground, and there is loose dirt all around outside it, the first time the tortoises step into it, dirt goes in too. It doesn't normally look as bad as it looks in that first picture. (Yvonne looks away, embarrassed)
Nice! Congratulations.

I too have that same water issue. I find myself cleaning/refilling water constantly throughout the day. [emoji41] I find it helps keep the water cooler for them . It is shaded , however; the water is very warm as the day goes by.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nice! Congratulations.

I too have that same water issue. I find myself cleaning/refilling water constantly throughout the day. [emoji41] I find it helps keep the water cooler for them . It is shaded , however; the water is very warm as the day goes by.
If it's not too hot after I've fed and tended to everyone, I'm going to see if i can creatively arrange some cement stepping stones around the outside of the waterer.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Rajkumar's instinct is telling her she needs to protect her eggs, and this a.m. she's still sitting at the edge of the waterer looking at her "nest." During the night sometime she got off of the nest and went out into the yard to scrape a little more "cover" over the nest. However, she If you look hard, about 5 or 6 feet towards the camera from the "nest" you can see all the scraping she did, moving dirt to the center of the space. Hopefully next year she'll get it right:

Manouria eggs 7-30-18 d.jpg Manouria eggs 7-30-18 e.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That protective slime. Does that have too stay on the eggs?
I have no more to breed, but when I did, I would gently wash the clay and mud off the eggs which would also wash off most if not all that slime.
I didn't have a good hatch rate. Out of about 75? Eggs or more I got a total of 6 to hatch.
Sucks if that's the reason, me washing away the slime.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hopefully you get a nice hatch rate out of yours. I thought it was nice of her to wash them for you. Until I realized the slime being gone could be a bad thing. Maybe the male is discreet and just didn't want too be seen.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh, and don't worry about your water dish. They drink out of mud holes, lakes and stream without us. Lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That protective slime. Does that have too stay on the eggs?
I have no more to breed, but when I did, I would gently wash the clay and mud off the eggs which would also wash off most if not all that slime.
I didn't have a good hatch rate. Out of about 75? Eggs or more I got a total of 6 to hatch.
Sucks if that's the reason, me washing away the slime.
I go by the instructions for duck and chicken eggs. When I was breeding poultry, that was my instructions. Leave the protective layer of slime on the eggs.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I go by the instructions for duck and chicken eggs. When I was breeding poultry, that was my instructions. Leave the protective layer of slime on the eggs.
I never read that before and actually seen either a post or video long time ago, can't even remember if it was for sure on the forum, but probably, too wash the eggs. Not to get rid of the slime but to get the dirt off, which you can't do without losing the slime. At least most of it.
Just hope that wasn't the reason more didn't hatch.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tonight the Manouria yard had three more circular spots like what was shown in post #7 this thread, and then the waterer is totally covered:
Manouria eggs 7-30-18f.jpg

When I had the Mep here, the youngest female also laid her eggs at the beginning of the nest building, then worked at making the nest higher for about a week to 10 days AFTER the eggs were in it. So, next year I'll have to keep my eye on her and when she starts looking like she wants to nest, THAT's probably when the eggs will appear. . . at the very beginning. It will almost be a shame tomorrow morning to dump all that nice mud out of the waterer to give them fresh. I think maybe I'll just put a big plant saucer out there with clean water and let her have her "nest".

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Come to think of it, maybe this is her way of letting me know her habitat is too dry?????