Duc Has Gone Walkabout!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have two Manouria emys emys, Duc the male and Rajkumar the female. Neither has attained full size yet, however, they are of breeding age.

Duc:
Duc 10-15-11 b.jpg

and Rajkumar (Sorry for the picture, it's the only one I have:Rajkumar 20-22-16.jpg

This a.m., I put out the food then went to count heads. What? Only one head? Where the heck is Duc?

He's not in the rain forest:
Walkabout a.jpg

Oh wait. Over there. What's that? Sheesh! The post has rotted and the screws pulled away, making a 'slide' out of the fence. (I wish I could have seen him climbing up that 'slide.')

walkabout b.jpg
The area separating the rain forest from the SA savannah is overgrown with shrubs and tall grass. Is Is he in there?
walkabout c.jpg

Could he have made it past that area and gotten into the open range in front of the SA shelter?
walkabout d.jpg
Or did he make it all the way out into the savannah:
walkabout e.jpg
walkabout f.jpg

I called Misty, the tortoise sniffing dog and, lo and behold. . . there he is safe and sound:

walkabout g.jpg

I quickly gathered him up and took him back home.
walkabout h.jpg

I guess a new fence post is the first item on today's agenda.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I have two Manouria emys emys, Duc the male and Rajkumar the female. Neither has attained full size yet, however, they are of breeding age.

Duc:
View attachment 270810

and Rajkumar (Sorry for the picture, it's the only one I have:View attachment 270811

This a.m., I put out the food then went to count heads. What? Only one head? Where the heck is Duc?

He's not in the rain forest:
View attachment 270812

Oh wait. Over there. What's that? Sheesh! The post has rotted and the screws pulled away, making a 'slide' out of the fence. (I wish I could have seen him climbing up that 'slide.')

View attachment 270813
The area separating the rain forest from the SA savannah is overgrown with shrubs and tall grass. Is Is he in there?
View attachment 270814

Could he have made it past that area and gotten into the open range in front of the SA shelter?
View attachment 270815
Or did he make it all the way out into the savannah:
View attachment 270816
View attachment 270817

I called Misty, the tortoise sniffing dog and, lo and behold. . . there he is safe and sound:

View attachment 270818

I quickly gathered him up and took him back home.
View attachment 270819

I guess a new fence post is the first item on today's agenda.
Oh naughty tort. I hope he enjoyed his adventures. And now that he has had a taste, I hope he does not want more [emoji33]

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You have a great outdoor setup for them! Lucky torts. And lucky doberman to be allowed to join in the search!

sorciere

10 Year Member!
Vietnam
Hi Yvonne! It’s been sooo long since I last came here (and own a tortoise). You have some other rare Asia tortoises again. Even in Vietnam, not many people have them as pet cos they are not easy to raise in enclosed space.
You’re doing great job for them!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Yvonne! It’s been sooo long since I last came here (and own a tortoise). You have some other rare Asia tortoises again. Even in Vietnam, not many people have them as pet cos they are not easy to raise in enclosed space.
You’re doing great job for them!
Thank you. Yes, my Manouria emys phayrei moved to San Diego a couple years ago. They are much happier in that climate. This pair of emys emys has just started attempt ing reproducing. The female has nested for the last two years, but lack of nest building skills meant no eggs hatched. Hopefully this year she'll do a better job.

Last edited: