Why my Leo's shell so soft?

jeffreywht

5 Year Member
Today I try to waked her up. When I pick her up the shell it will concave and soft. Is it not enough calcium or lay on wet sphagnum moss too long time to make her shell soft? Do I need to remove sphagnum moss for few days? Pls help!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
Do you have a UVB bulb? What's the diets like? And activity level? Soft shells are never good because that mean he is lacking something... It usually d3 or calcium they kind of go hand in hand but either way soft shell is not good.

Is it the bottom or top part of the shell? Babies will have a "soft" shell but it should feel or seem abnormal. Give us a bit more information and we can help out. What I would do in the mean time is do daily soaks which you should have a soak schedule already, add calcium to the diet, feed calcium rich foods like kale. Get a UVB bulb if you not already have one. Others will chime in, I'm pretty bad at helping out haha.

Kyle

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Moist substrate/moss does not make a tortoise's shell soft. That happens when the tortoise isn't getting the calcium PLUS UVB to make the shell strong.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is a list of potential causes:
Wrong diet.
Incorrect temps.
Not enough sun or UV.
Not enough calcium.
Wrong balance of calcium to other nutrients and elements.
Organ failure due to chronic dehydration in their first few weeks or months.

Any of these look like they may be your issue?