why not to use timothy hay for a substrate

awesomecs

5 Year Member
ok so I'm new to this forum and I say a couple ant in my substrate no Biggy right RONG then I say a couple more then I saw about 20 I was a little worried so I went on the forums and this guy I forgot who told me to take it seriously so the next day witch is today I tried to clean her substrate and get rid of the ants but when I lifted her water dish I say a colony of ants with no queen they had larva and they were eating the timothy hay all those ants could have easily killed my little baby and that's why you never should use timothy hay I owe my gratitude to that guys on the forums just look at how to get rid of ants and search for the one righted by awesomecs I had to move Tory's enclosure outside and moved her outdoor enclose inside it took a lot of work but we did it and now I am glad I used tortoise forums or tory may have died I'm so glad that Sunday I signed up with was this week =]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Before you put everything back in the container, spray the outside of it with ant killer. Don't get any on the inside. That should keep them out.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
thanks I dint put anything back in since her outdoor enclosures now her indoor enclose lol I'm not having any ants like that in my room again so her new indoor enclosure the basement lol

awesomecs

5 Year Member
btw do you have any tips on trying to put plants in there enclose that arent weeds

awesomecs

5 Year Member
I know I have most of the weeds planted I her enclose I thought that something would be a littel better

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
That's honestly really surprising. No chance you took picture of this ant colony, is there? I have not heard of an indoor colonization like that before. Do you know what kind of ants they were?

awesomecs

5 Year Member
no idea they had larvae and it was just a pie of ants in one spot thy fed n t timothy hay so they dint have to go far to find food and the strange thing was there was THERE WAS NO QUEEN I think they are ants that left thee colony

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's honestly really surprising. No chance you took picture of this ant colony, is there? I have not heard of an indoor colonization like that before. Do you know what kind of ants they were?

I've seen this happen indoors too.

When we moved into my current house the ants were in the walls. No matter how many we killed or what holes we plugged or how many gallons of ant spray we used inside and out, we didn't even make a dent in the population. Terro ant baits finally got rid of all of them.