10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
This is a good example of overt fighting, but my fear is that people will see this and say, "Well my two tortoises never do any of that, and I've had them together for X number of years, so they are fine..."
I agree with Tom.

I know you have a section on pairs in your "for new people" FAQ, but maybe we need a separate FAQ about pairs that goes into this explicitly

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This is a good example of overt fighting, but my fear is that people will see this and say, "Well my two tortoises never do any of that, and I've had them together for X number of years, so they are fine..."
Anything might help. But there are those that it's not going to matter what you, I or anyone else says. They will still do as they want!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You just know that's going to happen

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I've also seen videos of a tortoise getting credit for "rescuing" another tortoise by flipping it back over right side up.
No mention of why it was upside down...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It's not just a two males in the same area thing. What if a certain female doesn't like a certain male and he's desperate. They are picky. She'll beat the tar out of him. Vet bills. I don't know anyone that has 24 hours a day to watch and make sure they really are always lovey dovey. Or even 12 hours for that matter 😉 so no

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I think most people can understand obvious outright aggression. But the less aggressive form of bullying, like crowding up against the other one, is mistaken for cuddling, so it is looked upon with approval and fondness while the animals suffer.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
It's not just a two males in the same area thing. What if a certain female doesn't like a certain male and he's desperate. They are picky. She'll beat the tar out of him. Vet bills. I don't know anyone that has 24 hours a day to watch and make sure they really are always lovey dovey. Or even 12 hours for that matter 😉 so no
My most territorial tortoise is a female.
She tolerates NO ONE

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
My most territorial tortoise is a female.
She tolerates NO ONE
I've seen a female gopher go at it and war break out in a second. The poor guy didn't have a chance. So no I won't. If I was a breeder I would probably use a baby Cam etc just to keep a noninvasive way to watch the shenanigans at all times. And like hummingbirds separate them immediately afterwards. They don't really like each other. It sucks but that's how they are 😋