WHY Would someone do this????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
I am asking this because I have no idea why a person would do it?
I am interested in psychology but don't understand the reasons behind this?

Ok I'll get to the point here. I have a connection with a guy that has been telling me for months now that he can get my the bells torts I am looking for. He is a business man with reasons to maintain a good reputation.
However he is basically stringing me along with
Oh I've been so busy-contact me in 2 weeks
Oh there was a funeral where the tortoises are
Oh sorry too busy contact me on Monday etc etc etc
I have asked for the persons details-he says that the friend of his won't sell to just anyone and its a friend of a friend.

Do I just give up or do I hang on[/b]just in case he really does know of some like he tells me he does???
This has been going on for 5 mths now.

It is making me crazy.

I just don't get why he would do this -what can he gain really???
If these were not so rare here I would have given uop long ago but I'm unsure what to do-common sense says forget it but its hard to cut off ties just in case!

HELP!!Any suggestions??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He may have thought he could get you the tortoises, then found out afterward that they tortoises aren't available and he's too chicken to tell you. In the meantime, he's scrambling to find some from another source (but has no sources).

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
can you not just find a breeder and order one? if not, why is a Bells Tort so special?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Very tough choice to make. Its probably just best to let he call you when he gets one other wise you will keep getting excuses from him until he possibly gets one..

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
If you're gut feeling is telling you to bail, then I say bail! Go w/your gut!
That's just my opinion! :)
Good luck!

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Zamric said:
can you not just find a breeder and order one? if not, why is a Bells Tort so special?

there are no breeders to be found here.(In the US - Riparian Farms has them on occasions) They are so special because there are so few surviving Bells here in Canada.Most of the tortoises that came in years back perished very quickly to parasite problems. Mine came in legally from France then Germany then into Canada so as far as I am aware I have the only captive bred bells in Canada. Therefore breeding them and hopefully succeeding in increasing their numbers here would be a dream come true for me.

I have kind of located a few here but so far about 4 or 5 males , no sign of any females. Due to difficulties importing etc unlikely I can do it without huge expense and problems at the border. (I have been told otherwise but I'm not so sure?)

I think the Kinixys species as a whole are quite under rated and I find them quite interesting and seeing as they stay small, would be interesting tortoises for a lot of people. I think we owe it to the species to get those numbers back up and try to remedy the loss of so many in the past.

I have tried so hard to locate females here(across the entire country) but nothing. I have support from zoos here and experts in the field if i should find the females as most people are very encouraging and support this kind of project.

So the search goes on!!

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Northern California
Tortoise said:
Do I just give up or do I hang on[/b]just in case he really does know of some like he tells me he does???

It is making me crazy.

If these were not so rare here I would have given uop long ago but I'm unsure what to do-common sense says forget it but its hard to cut off ties just in case!

HELP!!Any suggestions??

He may have thought he had a source, and now it turns out he doesn't. At this point he may just be trying to save face, buy time, and look for another source.

Or it could just be that he finds you attractive and is stringing you along to maintain contact with you. ;)

You may just want to politely level with him. Say something to the effect of, "If it turns out that you can't come through, its ok no big deal. But please level with me and let me know, that way I can redirect my time to looking for another source." Usually when put in those terms and given an 'out', he'll take it and let you know that you probably should look around elsewhere.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Neltharion said:
Tortoise said:

It is making me crazy.

HELP!!Any suggestions??

He may have thought he had a source, and now it turns out he doesn't. At this point he may just be trying to save face, buy time, and look for another source.

Or it could just be that he finds you attractive and is stringing you along to maintain contact with you. ;)

You may just want to politely level with him. Say something to the effect of, "If it turns out that you can't come through, its ok no big deal. But please level with me and let me know, that way I can redirect my time to looking for another source." Usually when put in those terms and given an 'out', he'll take it and let you know that you probably should look around elsewhere.

That's funny:D:D-the stringing me along bit-perhaps its my British accent!!!!

Seriously though-I did already email him and tell him that it was ok if it all fell through and I'd rather him just say so and then I can quit bugging him!!
He still replies and gives me another week to be contacting him.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Sounds like he is stringing you along while he is searching for some. There are people like that in the lower 48 too. I wouldn't count on him coming through from the sounds of the excuses!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Seems to be you'd do well to keep looking for other sources...that way, if/when he comes through, you can buy what he can offer, but you're not stuck waiting...possibly you'll end up w/ a few females from him, a few from another source.

How difficult/complicated is buying from an American source there in Canada, and getting it shipped to you? I may know of a possibility, but it'll likely not be until about April or May...will be happy to inquire for you, or pass the contact directly to you, if that's more to your liking.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Terry Allan Hall said:
Seems to be you'd do well to keep looking for other sources...that way, if/when he comes through, you can buy what he can offer, but you're not stuck waiting...possibly you'll end up w/ a few females from him, a few from another source.

How difficult/complicated is buying from an American source there in Canada, and getting it shipped to you? I may know of a possibility, but it'll likely not be until about April or May...will be happy to inquire for you, or pass the contact directly to you, if that's more to your liking.

That's really kind thank you Terry.
You can enquire for me if you would like.
I am told by the Canadian Food inspection Agency vet that I should apply for a permit.But lots of Canadian including some on this forum have told me in no uncertain terms that there is no way they will be allowed through.
I am left frustrated as CFIA top vet says send us an application yet other general public tortoise people say it never works, always troubles at the border and you will lose a lot of money.
I am very unsure where the problems are. I know I need a import permit from the CFIA, something from US wildlife and fisheries and one more document I think?

I know for a fact it will cost me around $1000 for shipping alone regardless of whether the tortoise/tortoises would be allowed in.
I talked with Richard from Riparian and he has never succeeded in getting a tort into Canada.

Any opinions from anyone/stories of success/failures here appreciated as I am unsure whether I should try.I don't want a poor tort left at customs either as I have no idea what would happen to it in the event it is taken away.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Laura said:
i hope you havent sent him cash/money yet.. sounds scammy to me...

No money sent.
He doesn't keep torts but used to apparently.
Thanks for the replies

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sounds like one of two things to me. One he had them and no longer does and is trying to scramble around and find some new ones, or two it is someone who likes to string people around. I would contact this person once a week or so, and wait and see what happens, but don't keep your hopes up

Status
Not open for further replies.