Wild fern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
So this is the first year that I have seen this fern growing. What is ir and is it ok for the Leopards to have with them (may eat it) and if not would it be ok to put in the Boxie pen? They don't normally eat their foliage :rolleyes:

Saranna

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks like a seedling Mimosa tree. They sprout up all over my property because I have ONE tree in my desert tortoise pen. There are hundred and hundreds of seed pods on the tree and this time of year lots of them are sprouting. I have heard that they are toxic, but the tree was here when I moved in. It sheds its flowers in the spring and its seed pods in the fall, and neither the desert tortoises or Dudley, the sulcata, who lives next door to them, has ever eaten any of the tree.

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
Huh. And how big do theses trees get? The Boxie pen is only 2' high with lids lol. It's good to know that no one has tried to eat them, but then again Tank's the one who ate the Christmas Cactus :rolleyes:

Saranna

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
Well...too big for the enclosure :( But maybe if we move to the house we're looking at, I can still bring it with me and plant in in the yard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.