Wild Gophers

samkerns1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Georgia
Very cool.
I see one every now and then.
But I've never seen a pair courting each other.
Or two males battling. Whatever the case may be.
I'm not sure if it's love or hate either.
I have seen Gonzo basking peacefully at a burrow opening with others torts many times over the years. This is the first "action" we've seen.

It's been amazing watching the native tortoises here in GA. When Hurricane Irma came in, they were out en masse devouring the newly fallen tree leaves.
And then there's the times it looks like smoke in the distance, but it's really a tortoise excavating his home.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm not sure if it's love or hate either.
I have seen Gonzo basking peacefully at a burrow opening with others torts many times over the years. This is the first "action" we've seen.

It's been amazing watching the native tortoises here in GA. When Hurricane Irma came in, they were out en masse devouring the newly fallen tree leaves.
And then there's the times it looks like smoke in the distance, but it's really a tortoise excavating his home.
I guess I didn't realize that they existed that far north.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
My aunt and uncle are camping in fl and just sent me this pic the other day.
Resized_20180822_105801_1848.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm retired now. But I had to go to my old job this morning to get a paper for my insurance and I found this old girl sitting in the middle of a four way intersection.
I carried her into Hampton Pines park about 50 yards away. A heavily wooded area that I'm pretty sure she was from.

20180911_113112.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'm retired now. But I had to go to my old job this morning to get a paper for my insurance and I found this old girl sitting in the middle of a four way intersection.
I carried her into Hampton Pines park about 50 yards away. A heavily wooded area that I'm pretty sure she was from.
I grew up 2 minutes from Hampton pines park! They used to run a breeding program there.