Will be adopting a Hermann's

Status
Not open for further replies.

joey9

5 Year Member
Hi! My name is Soraya and I live near Philadelphia. I'm going to be adopting a Hermann's tortoise named Joey in August. He belongs to a family member who is moving overseas. Someone dumped him in Central Park in New York twelve years ago. He apparently has a broken beak, but it doesn't stop him from eating.

He's currently in a glass tank on wood chips, and I know this isn't good for him. I'm going to be setting up a wood enclosure with eco-earth for him. Unfortunately, I live in an apartment, but I'll be able to take him to my parents' yard for supervised outside time on a regular basis.

I also have two cats, two bearded dragons (who star in my photo blog, www.dailylizardphoto.com), three loaches, assorted guppies, and three freshwater snails.

I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can here so I can give Joey the care he deserves.

Thanks!! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Soraya:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Welcome! Where-abouts do you live? My Aunt lives right in King-of-Prussia, so I know the suburbs around Philly pretty well.

joey9

5 Year Member
NudistApple said:
Welcome! Where-abouts do you live? My Aunt lives right in King-of-Prussia, so I know the suburbs around Philly pretty well.

I live in Media, about half an hour from your aunt. :)

Thanks for the welcomes!!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
hello :)

A pretty good starting point is Tome's Beginner Mistakes thread.

And for feeding this Plant Booklet. Your tortoise's diet should be mostly leafy green weeds and salads... no fruit (including bell pepper and strawberries!) The Tortoise Table Plant Database is brilliant for looking up stuff you can buy in the shops or that you have growing in your garden to see if it makes god food... you may as well start this research now!

joey9

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
hello :)

A pretty good starting point is Tome's Beginner Mistakes thread.

And for feeding this Plant Booklet. Your tortoise's diet should be mostly leafy green weeds and salads... no fruit (including bell pepper and strawberries!) The Tortoise Table Plant Database is brilliant for looking up stuff you can buy in the shops or that you have growing in your garden to see if it makes god food... you may as well start this research now!

Thanks for the advice! I will certainly check out those resources!!

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Welcome! Hermann's are the most fun. I'm sure you'll enjoy getting to know yours!

joey9

5 Year Member
Thanks to everyone for the welcomes. I can't wait to get Joey. He's rather a character. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.