Will this do for now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ocean

5 Year Member
Hi everyone! As I've posted in the introductions section, I just recently acquired a Russian tortoise (still no name yet :rolleyes: ) and I was trying to put together a decent temporary enclosure until I have time to work on a table. I was wondering if this will work for now? I joined two extra large rubbermaid tubs together using a long, rectangular tub as a kind of bridge. There's 4-5 inches of substrate in both tubs consisting of a blend of Eco Earth and Peat Moss. I've added some live aloe plants and have both a heat lamp as well as uvb. There is also a large, shallow water bowl in one of the tubs and I've got a couple of hides to add as well. I'm hoping to find some additional tortoise-friendly plants to put in too. Will this be OK until I have an opportunity to construct a tort table? Thanks! :)
enclosure.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

green man

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
That looks pretty cool, its very creative. Seems good to me, however, I am no authority, so don't take my advice.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks great. What sort of UV light are you using? The coil type cfl bulbs can damage their eyes. MVBs or tubes are fine.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks great. Ditto on Tom's post about the uv type light. Be sure it's not the coil type.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Wow, really nice! No rush on the table, that is pretty creative. You could add a regular house incandescent 100w bulb on the right side to brighten it up, also warm it up.

You can also use spider plants, prayer plants...here is a link-
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp

You can also use silk plants from craft stores, the tort won't eat them.

(Yes, be sure to check your UV bulb as mentioned).

Ocean

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
Wow, really nice! No rush on the table, that is pretty creative. You could add a regular house incandescent 100w bulb on the right side to brighten it up, also warm it up.

You can also use spider plants, prayer plants...here is a link-
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp

You can also use silk plants from craft stores, the tort won't eat them.

(Yes, be sure to check your UV bulb as mentioned).

Thanks for the links...I definitely want to add some more plants! I do (well, did) have one of the coil type bulbs...it's been removed and will be returned to the store tomorrow. ;)

Thanks for the advice and replies everyone! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.