Humid hide

archerkid

Location (City and/or State)
Corvallis, OR
Hi guys,
Working on getting my indoor enclosure for a baby marginated tortoise. Just want to see which of these two tubs would work best as a humid hide. The other one will serve as the soaking tub.
Thanks!
-AlexImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461635372.846423.jpg

(Put my hand in there for a size comparison)

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
The smaller the better for the humid hide. The blue one would be better than the other, but it is still quite large - relative to the size I am picturing your tortoise.

archerkid

Corvallis, OR
Alright, I'll pick the smaller of the two. right now it is just being heated by a very small heat pad, and the temperature is only reaching about 71F at night. I'd imagine this is too cold and could lead to respiratory infections. Can I heat it with a larger heat pad, or would it be better to use a CHE for a plastic tub like this? I am using a large storage tote as an enclosure with coconut husk fiber as a substrate.
Thanks!
-Alex

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
That seems a bit large for a humid hide, if you still have a baby. My experience with them is a majority of my babies do not go inside them. A few do, but even those are not every night. I'd start with a smaller one just to see if they use it. Keep the humidity level right in the entire enclosure and you really don't need a humid hide. Keeping that coco substrate moist works very well for higher humidity.

You will probably need a CHE if you night temps are that low. The heating pad isn't going to work up enough to keep them warm on top. Put a CHE toward one end of your tub which should give you a warm side and a cooler side. They will decide where the most comfortable temperature is for sleeping.

archerkid

Corvallis, OR
Hi guys,
I got a 150 watt Che and a terrarium thermostat to control it and keep it from turning my enclosure into an oven.
Could I use a medium sized (6" opening) terra cotta pot with an opening cut into it as a humid hide? It's a bit smaller and I've got that on hand.

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
The pot is fine IF sphagnum moss or a clean dish sponge (attached to the underside, out of reach) is added to the pot. The pot itself won't retain moisture. The moss, coco coir substrate or the like will keep the hide moist.

archerkid

Corvallis, OR
Alright, I'll add a sponge to the ceiling of it, and possibly a little more substrate underneath. Thanks everyone!