Winter accomodations for redfoots

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Hi everyone,
After a long winter (2009) of having 15 Redfoots take up a room in my house I decided that was the last time! This fall I (with a lot of help) built a 10x12 foot shed for outdoor accommodations. The following is some details and pics.

First, I insulated the floor with 2 inch Styrofoam and filled in gaps with foam insulation. In the walls I used R19 fiberglass. On the ceiling, 2 inch Styrofoam. All gaps filled and all insulation is covered so torts can't get into it.

Second, a 1200 watt heater and thermostat was installed at the 6 foot high mid-point of the shed. Light fixtures so I can see at night and a power strip for the extra stuff.

Third, on the floor where the torts live went plastic, a plywood floor 2 inches off the floor of the shed another layer of plastic and topped with indoor/outdoor carpet for traction and easy cleaning.

Fourth, was dividing the pens and putting in nesting areas, hide boxes and heat emitters to create an extra warm spot.

Daily operation: the heater is always set for 75F. I have 2 150watt heat emitters that create a warm spots of 90F for 10 hours per day. I have UVA/UVB bulbs (at the 6ft level) on 10 hrs per day to create 'daylight' in the darkness! Every 2 days water bowls are changed, everyday extra food and/or poo is cleaned up. Twice a day everyone is misted to keep the humidity up. Every two weeks I bring in a large basin of mud and let them wallow. My Redfoots love a good mud bath! And lastly, each week they get a good soak in the bathtub so I can keep tabs on their health. Temps are monitored remotely and have alarms.

Sorry so lengthy.

It was a ton of work but they are warm and happy and I love having my room back!

PS: You'll notice a table with two other pens. Those house rescues (Ornates) that are not healthy enough to hibernate and a 3 yr old Leopard that was dumped on me.

Attachments

• shed 1.jpg
    shed 1.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 86
  • shed 2.jpg
    shed 2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 72
  • shed 3.jpg
    shed 3.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 67

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's great! The true test will com on winter's coldest day.

I have to say one note about the spiral bulb, just in case a newb tortoise-keeper sees the picture. Those bulbs have been know to cause blindness or at the very least, eye trouble in tortoises. Because your light is up so high I doubt it will cause any problems. The trouble occurs when it is 12" or so above the tortoise, used for its UV value.

Status
Not open for further replies.