Wood shed that I need to insulate but also keep humid for torts

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Little Rock, Ar
So I have a large wooden shed that i keep my redfoots in December, January and February. I put in a rubber floor in it and then put about 2 feet or cypress mulch on the floor and have powersun lights on timers for sun light. I also keep inside a electric oil filled radiator with a fan blowing in it to keep the temps about 80 degrees in the day and 70s at night. Torts are doing great laying eggs and eating.

My problem is insulation. I insulated the shed with your basic pink fiberglass insulation between the rafters insulation and of course have water condensating in between the insulation and wall now.

It is worst in the North Facing Cold walls.

What can i do for insulation?

I know this is more of a home repair question but every answer in those forums says to get a Dehumidifier. However I want humidity for my redfoots.

Do I take it all down and use rigid foam board?

We are talking about a 2.4 adult Redfoot Group. 9 months of the year I can keep them outside with a heated hide also.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would think putting up plastic or sealed wood over the insulation would keep the moisture from getting into and behind the insulation. Before you do anything though, be sure the moisture and any mold that might have started growing is dried/cleaned up before covering or you will just get more nasty mold growing.
You could possibly go with just humid hides.

M

Maggie Cummings

I used the pink stuff in the walls, and the styrofoam stiff stuff in the ceiling and floor. I never have condescension, even with the snow or ice....Bob's shed is 20'X12'. I have plain 3/4" plywood floors with a pile of grass hay under a tort table. The styrofoam and another layer of plywood.
My guess is the 'condensation' between the floor mats and the floor. Rubber oozes fluid. Just a guess, as I've never had that problem.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think there's a vapor barrier on one side of the insulation. Maybe you have the barrier on the wrong side.

"In areas where the climate is cold in the winter, the vapor retarder should be installed inward toward the warm living space — or on the warm side in winter. In humid climates or areas where there is extensive use of air-conditioning, if a vapor retarder is required, it should be installed on the exterior side of the wall."

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Little Rock, Ar
Thanks for the help on this. I think what I am going to do is just make it through January and February here like this and then in late march look at fixing this better. Definitely need a vapor Barrier and might even consider switching to a spray on foam insulation. I have such a small building that it supposedly would be pretty cheap.

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Little Rock, Ar
I used the pink stuff in the walls, and the styrofoam stiff stuff in the ceiling and floor. I never have condescension, even with the snow or ice....Bob's shed is 20'X12'. I have plain 3/4" plywood floors with a pile of grass hay under a tort table. The styrofoam and another layer of plywood.
My guess is the 'condensation' between the floor mats and the floor. Rubber oozes fluid. Just a guess, as I've never had that problem.

Actually the condensation is in the walls.