winter feeding ?

Action

Location (City and/or State)
Valley Springs, Ca.
so Skittles is a little over 2 now and close to 20lbs. outside full time. big heated house and comes out everyday to eat grass and from his food bowl. Just wondering when it gets colder out will he/she come out to eat? I think I read not to feed them in there house. Thoughts.......
Thanks
Jack

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
so Skittles is a little over 2 now and close to 20lbs. outside full time. big heated house and comes out everyday to eat grass and from his food bowl. Just wondering when it gets colder out will he/she come out to eat? I think I read not to feed them in there house. Thoughts.......
Thanks
Jack
They typically slow down their appetites in winter, but not always. I always jack the heat up to 86 in the night box to get them through our cooler temperate winters. For some smaller species, like my stars, I even give them basking lamps inside the night house for cold winter days, but I don't do that for larger tortoise like sulcatas or leopards because it will "slow-burn" their carapace.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I built a greenhouse so that I can grow winter food. I also bought a super-sized greenhouse tent to put over his house so that he could come out and graze a bit during the snowy winter months. Gonna cost me a small fortune to heat it, but what the hell.