Winter Feeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sorry, stupid question.
What does everyone feed their sulcattas in the winter. Everything I have read says grasses are the main source of food and veggies are not to be used as a staple.
He lives outside all summer (in South Carolina that is a long stretch) but it is time for her to come in and I don't want to have to feed her veggies all winter if that is not good for her.
Any advice?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
I'm sure you've got feed stores in your area. You can get orchard grass hay for $10-$12 a bale and feed that. Sometimes the transition is hard so folks will mix it with their summer food to get them to accept it. Some folks soak the hay to make it easier on the tortoises but if you do that, make sure you change out the hay daily because it will mold if warm and wet.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
I have a Bermuda hay bale for free and am in SC. Bought it for my rabbits but they won't eat it. Where at are you in SC?

chris

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
RosieRedfoot said:
I have a Bermuda hay bale for free and am in SC. Bought it for my rabbits but they won't eat it. Where at are you in SC?

I am in the Charleston area.

Cowboy_Ken said:
I'm sure you've got feed stores in your area. You can get orchard grass hay for $10-$12 a bale and feed that. Sometimes the transition is hard so folks will mix it with their summer food to get them to accept it. Some folks soak the hay to make it easier on the tortoises but if you do that, make sure you change out the hay daily because it will mold if warm and wet.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.