Winter Temp Help Please!

AzAngel

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Queen Creek, Arizona
Okay forum friends. I am struggling a little with my temps this winter. I have two heat lamps the basking and the ceramic. I have three thermometers. One inside his humid hid, one under the ceramic, and one under the basking. Basking is between 95-100, the ceramic I have sent to a thermostat that is set at 90 degrees, the temp I am struggling with is the humid hide. It is in the low 70's and I can’t seem to get it any higher. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am concerned because Bowser doesn't seem to want to go in there now and I don't want him sitting under his heat lamps 24/7.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Is your enclosure covered? This is indoors, yes? I'm guessing you just need to cover the enclosure better, but you can also move the CHE closer to the hide or get a higher wattage one. Likely you're just losing heat to the room though. Photos will help.

AzAngel

5 Year Member
Queen Creek, Arizona
My enclosure has changed a bit since this picture, but the basics are the same. IT is completely enclosed with plexi glass, the CHE is 150 W that I just bought for the winter, (my summer CHE is 60W) and the basking is 60W. I don't want to get higher wattage because outside the hide it is really toasty. I just can’t keep the humid hide temps high enough for him to enjoy being in there. I did try to up the thermostat temp to 95 degrees but it didn't seem to help the hide temps and I was afraid this was to hot outside so I lowered it back down to 90. I think I might try changing his hide to something plastic. Currently he has a wood hide, would the wood be keeping the heat out?

Bowser6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
How well insulated are those windows? I'm guessing you're losing you're heat through the glass. I would put the hide on the side away from the window or move the enclosure entirely.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
How about some extra heat below his hide? When I still had a glass viv I used underside heat (a heat mat of that's the correct translation) below his hide. Just be careful it doesn't get too hot, I've read that torts don't have a good sensing of heat from below and could overheat.

AzAngel

5 Year Member
Queen Creek, Arizona
I was looking at heat mats. I have some questions about them. The tank stand is basically a TV stand and it is plywood. If I put a heat mat between the tank and the stand would it cause a fire? There is not enough room between the bottom of the tank and the stand so the heat mat would make direct contact with the wood. I didn't purchase one for that reason. Does anyone have experience with this?

I like the idea of moving the hide. I didn't think of that and will do that today. I have moved the tank since this picture. He is still by a window, but it is not as big of a window. I agree he is probably losing heat through the glass. Is there something I could cover the class with on the side of the hide that would help keep the heat in?

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Maybe get a piece of styrafoam insulation on the back of the tank by the windows ? I would think having his hide closer to the CHE will also help . :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Besides covering it more tightly, you can lower the light and CHE. Heat rises and if your heat sources are too high, the heat doesn't reach the floor.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Your only problem is getting the heat to go inside the hide. I would change the hide to plastic. You could then place it closer to the CHE and put your probe in the hide. I have put heat mats on walls and roofs of hides, but little ones will burn themselves on heat mats from below.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Get another fixture and hang you 60 watt CHE over on the other side of the tank. Set it on the same thermostat as the 150.

That open ended wooden hide is not a humid hide. For it to retain humidity it needs to be closed in. The open ends prevent this. It doesn't matter if its wood or plastic. THe temps on that end of the tank are too low. You need another heating element over there.

I would not use a heat mat.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
In a closed type of enclosure if you use a rheostat instead of a thermostat while using bottom heat or heat from above or both you can eliminate the risk of over heating a tortoise by setting the heat source not to go above a safe temperature, Using a thermostat, when the prob temperature drops it turns the heater on and it goes to maximum power until the prob reaches the desired temperature, other surface areas may get hotter than what you want before the correct prob temperature is reached. Using rheostats takes a little longer to set to the correct temps but once you get it set you should not have to reset it unless the surrounding outside temperature changes greatly. sometimes it takes me hours to get them set properly but once it is done it's easy to monitor the temps throughout.I use this same system on all my outside houses during winter. I usually start settings at 85 degrees and once I obtain something close to that I mark the rheostats and go from there. I have found that the Lutron 300 watt lamp dimmer does everything I need a rheostat to do. I guess the best way to explain how it works is trying to maintain a constant temperature with everything running at reduced wattage continuously without turning off and on. Except some light bulbs will not work with a dimmer. I know I may have confused you a little, that's my fault for not being able to explain things very well. Don't be afraid to think about (gentle) surround heat, top heat, bottom heat and heat from the side walls.

AzAngel

5 Year Member
Queen Creek, Arizona
Get another fixture and hang you 60 watt CHE over on the other side of the tank. Set it on the same thermostat as the 150.

That open ended wooden hide is not a humid hide. For it to retain humidity it needs to be closed in. The open ends prevent this. It doesn't matter if its wood or plastic. THe temps on that end of the tank are too low. You need another heating element over there.

I would not use a heat mat.

Thanks for your help on this. I insulated the side of the tank with the window, and hung the 2nd CHE which worked like a charm. His tank is now nice and toasty :). The log is going to go away really soon as he is getting to big for it anyway, but I completely berried it under coco coir when I first made his enclosure, so it is enclosed on the one side. I am sad to move it because he has dug a large room underneath it where he sleeps. Will be sad to destroy his hard work :)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I was looking at heat mats. I have some questions about them. The tank stand is basically a TV stand and it is plywood. If I put a heat mat between the tank and the stand would it cause a fire? There is not enough room between the bottom of the tank and the stand so the heat mat would make direct contact with the wood. I didn't purchase one for that reason. Does anyone have experience with this?

I like the idea of moving the hide. I didn't think of that and will do that today. I have moved the tank since this picture. He is still by a window, but it is not as big of a window. I agree he is probably losing heat through the glass. Is there something I could cover the class with on the side of the hide that would help keep the heat in?

A heat mat for seed starting is water proof and can be placed directly in the enclosure. They heat with only 17 watts (10 x 20 inch size, approximate size) and if used with a thermostats and probe you won't overshoot your goal. I use many of these, they work well. They are about $20 each and a inexpensive thermostat is about the same.

heat mats
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P7U259C/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

or

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001WV010/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Thermostats
http://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Horticulture-68-108°F-Thermostat-Controller/dp/B010GFADNM/ref=pd_sim_86_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=51AJzlOgapL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=183MQ9KM6Z77A8S4MTEN

Or a combo purchase
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B010GNW6T8/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I don't know if you have any Aldi stores near you in the US but here in the UK they sell really cheap car wind screen reflector sheets that are used to stop the interiors getting too hot if parked in full sun or as protectors from ice It has a foam backing on it. They would be great for wrapping around or putting over the top of your tank to help reflect heat back in. I use one to direct heat from a radiator down to floor level in my torts room. Car part shops (Halfords?) also sell them.
upload_2015-12-31_18-48-21.png