Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
These are the ones I keep posting about. I bought this one from Lowes today for $19.99.

The little white rectangular box is the remote probe. You can put it anywhere. Indoors, outdoors, in your enclosure, under your basking spot, in your humid hide box, etc.. and it tells you the temp and humidity. Nothing for your tortoise to try and eat. No wires to get tangled in. It also tells you the temp and humidity at the base unit. You could mount the base to the wall of the cool side(mounting hardware is included) and keep the probe on the warm side to constantly monitor temp and humidity in two places at once. I keep the remote probes inside my outdoor tortoise night houses (you can see them in the pics I posted of "My Current Tortoise Enclosure") and the indoor base units stay in my nearby reptile room.

These are one of the best reptile products I've found. Practical, durable and so easy to use.

bg78zp.jpg

n34uhd.jpg

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I have the exact same one, and I keep the remote in an incubator. Easy to keep track of both temp and humidity levels in the incubator. I highly recommend this one.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where did you get yours, Betts? Are they available other places than Lowes?

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Roachman26 said:
Where did you get yours, Betts? Are they available other places than Lowes?

I also got it at Lowes! I have another in door/out door Remote AcuRite without humidity that I got from Home Depot!

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
Hi Roachman;
I have 1 of these also & only use the remote in 1 incubator.
If you use several, Have you ever had a problem with the base unit reading the wrong remote?

chadk

10 Year Member!
I may end up getting one for my outdoor tort shed so I can see the temps while being inside. But so far, the $12 accurite version works great for me.

It has a small wired probe that can run under substrate and I tape it down under the hot basking spot. Then the other sides on the cool side out of the way. I can see the relative humidity, basking temp, and ambient\cool side temps in one glance.

I think the wireless probe would be too bulky for putting under the basking spot for my setups. But for just a warm side probe, it would work great. Is it waterproof?

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
I read this post and ran out and bought one. I've had trouble in the past with electronic thermometers not working long term.

Well, I put batteries in both units and nothing. Any tricks to get it going?
I will try changing the A/B/C settings. If that don't work, I will have to take it back.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kevin:

I saw the pictures and decided I had to have one too. I'm going tomorrow to Lowe's and see if they carry them.

I wonder why your doesn't work...

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
emysemys said:
Hi Kevin:

I saw the pictures and decided I had to have one too. I'm going tomorrow to Lowe's and see if they carry them.

I wonder why your doesn't work...

I am not sure what happened to my post, but I thought I posted an update :rolleyes:
On the F/C and A/B/C switches, I swithed them to each setting and took out and put back in the batteries and it works fine now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
t_mclellan said:
Hi Roachman;
I have 1 of these also & only use the remote in 1 incubator.
If you use several, Have you ever had a problem with the base unit reading the wrong remote?

I have used up to 3 at a time right next to each other with no problem.

chadk said:
I may end up getting one for my outdoor tort shed so I can see the temps while being inside. But so far, the $12 accurite version works great for me.

It has a small wired probe that can run under substrate and I tape it down under the hot basking spot. Then the other sides on the cool side out of the way. I can see the relative humidity, basking temp, and ambient\cool side temps in one glance.

I think the wireless probe would be too bulky for putting under the basking spot for my setups. But for just a warm side probe, it would work great. Is it waterproof?

They are not waterproof as the little box has vents on the bottom so it can read temp and humidity. They are, however, made to live outdoors in any climate. I used them in Des Moines in December and January last year and it got down to 18 below. The same unit came back home and got up to 122 in the summer. I don't leave it under the basking spot all the time. I just put it under there for a couple hours, usually while the animal is out in the sun, and then remove it.

kbaker said:
I read this post and ran out and bought one. I've had trouble in the past with electronic thermometers not working long term.

Well, I put batteries in both units and nothing. Any tricks to get it going?
I will try changing the A/B/C settings. If that don't work, I will have to take it back.

I see that you got it working. Sometimes they do this when you first put in the batteries. I always take a battery out of the base unit, and then just put it right back in. That usually does it. One time, I had a stubborn one and I changed the A to B and the put the batteries back in and it worked perfectly from then on.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
HEY!!! Did you guys all come up to Santa Clarita and buy them all up? They had a big box of them just a couple of weeks ago and today they are all sold out!!! I sure hope they get some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.