Wont eat it unless its moving

Triz

Location (City and/or State)
Modesto, ca
So, I have tried feeding my baby turtles greens and fruit as well, rather than just worms and pill bugs, but seems like they arent even interested unless its moving, and one of my babies will only eat pill bugs and turn away from any other worm or slug. Ive even tried cutting the greens very small, or till its basically a mush, and even thrown in their bugs in with the mix but they wait til the bugs crawl out to eat them. How can i get them to eat more variety?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Are we talking about box turtles?
It sounds like a spoiled turtle.
Lots of turtles and tortoises will decide to just eat certain things.
Keep offering other foods and less of what they want to eat.
They will eat the other offerings before they starve.
Your story is not that unusual. So don't worry.

Triz

Modesto, ca
Are we talking about box turtles?
It sounds like a spoiled turtle.
Lots of turtles and tortoises will decide to just eat certain things.
Keep offering other foods and less of what they want to eat.
They will eat the other offerings before they starve.
Your story is not that unusual. So don't worry.
Yes, box turtles, haha pudgy does seem to be spoiled, eating only pill bugs, at least Franklin will eat anything as long as its moving. I will continue to try and offer only what they dont like and see what happens but usually it just goes bad and then i feel bad that they arent eating, lol, ill just have to keep at it

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yes, box turtles, haha pudgy does seem to be spoiled, eating only pill bugs, at least Franklin will eat anything as long as its moving. I will continue to try and offer only what they dont like and see what happens but usually it just goes bad and then i feel bad that they arent eating, lol, ill just have to keep at it
Seriously. An otherwise healthy animal can go a long time without eating. Weeks. And it wont take that long.
Best of luck!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @Triz . I had the same issue with Oli- my beloved Greek tort. He only used to eat lettuce and at that time I could not even offer mazuri which i not available here in Jordan. Ed ( @ZEROPILOT ) was kind and generous enough to send mazuri for Oli. Thank you Ed! I have not forgotten it and neither has Oli.

Now when I began to offer mazurii, Oli would turn back and move towards lettuce. I therefore had to stop offering lettuce. This way he'd get hungry and eat what was available.

Please keep us updated and good luck.

Triz

Modesto, ca
Hi @Triz . I had the same issue with Oli- my beloved Greek tort. He only used to eat lettuce and at that time I could not even offer mazuri which i not available here in Jordan. Ed ( @ZEROPILOT ) was kind and generous enough to send mazuri for Oli. Thank you Ed! I have not forgotten it and neither has Oli.

Now when I began to offer mazurii, Oli would turn back and move towards lettuce. I therefore had to stop offering lettuce. This way he'd get hungry and eat what was available.

Please keep us updated and good luck.
Ive been hearing (reading) a lot about Mazuri, im going to have to see if i can get some of that, thank you.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Ive been hearing (reading) a lot about Mazuri, im going to have to see if i can get some of that, thank you.
Also keep in mind calcium powder.

You are most welcome.