Wood Egg Update Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Ok, so I'm going to try and update every Thursday when I mist/candle the eggs :) I'm doing on today though because I just couldn't believe that one egg had died being it's so perfect still - so I candled it again this AM with my reading glasses on.

Going to the dark spot on the top of the egg (which has grown in 3 days already), there are 2 small red veins :) My egg is still living I hope. There is also another dark spot towards the bottom of the egg though...I know the egg is almost double the size of the others, is that an indication of twins? (Can you tell I've been researching? :rolleyes: ) Or could it be discoloration from the vermiculite?

No other eggs has two spots though...

Saranna

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Veins are a good sign it's still alive :D Twins are always possible, but it doesn't correlate to the size of the egg. :p Can you see the second dark spot on the outside of the egg when you take the light away?

Danny

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
No, I can't see it when I take the light away o_O It's smaller than the black spot on top, but not by too much. It's like the main black spot (I'm guessing they're the embryos, since I see one in all the eggs now. They are about 1/2" circumfrance. The main spot is on the top bottom end of the egg and the other spot I saw today is definately on the bottom half of the egg - maybe 1/4" away from the other one. The veins are inbetween the two.

Does that make sense?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It makes sense :) It's very possible it's twins.

Danny

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
First mystery eggs and now maybe twins...I'm going to need a straight jacket before this is all over lol. How on earth do people do this on a regular basis? Doesn't the wait drive you nuts?

Good news is...only 24-40 days left o.o

Saranna

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
So the 8th egg did end up dying. I'm guessing it was early on since the embryo waas so tiny. I have included two pictures. In the first one, you can see how the yolk was kind of "cooked" due to incubating - and in the second picture the tiny white "blob" with the big black spot is the embryo. The black spot is the eye I assume.

Saranna

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yes the black spot is the eye and that embryo is much to small to tell species.

Danny

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
I figured it was too small...oh well. 19 days to go...

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
Just an update:

I have now witnessed movement in all 7 eggs :D When the little shadows "swim" they seem so big! Seeing that made me even more excited and hopeful that we'll have some kind of little ones running/swimming around...hopefully soon. If they go another month I'm definately going to pull my hair out lol.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm gonna' really be laughing if they hatch out with little red lines along their necks and green carapaces!! :p

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
emysemys said:
I'm gonna' really be laughing if they hatch out with little red lines along their necks and green carapaces!! :p

If they do, I'm seding them to your house for jinxing me :p:p

I thought large RES females had bigger clutches though?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, just pullin' your chain!

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
Hehe, I know....maybe o_O

I'm planning for woods, but will be happy with EPT or RES. Either way, it will be my first ever successful incubation :D Even if they come out hybrids of some kind - I'll be thrilled just to know I helped bring little lives into the world.

Saranna

ETA: I never thought of possible hybrids until now...uh oh.

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
So - yolks are starting to disappear, babies are very active in their eggs...today is day 41 so end of the week they can start pipping :D:D

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Macheteslaststep said:
So - yolks are starting to disappear, babies are very active in their eggs...today is day 41 so end of the week they can start pipping :D:D

Any updates? Pretty exciting to not really know what your hatchlings are going to be!

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
Oh, yea I have candling pics! Tomorrow is day 50. The eggs are starting to swell again - so no misting for a couple weeks. According to the candle pictures Danny said probably about another 2 weeks :) All eggs are still active. It's almost like they do the Momba when you shine the light in :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I find it exciting hoping for pics of the little ones

Status
Not open for further replies.