Wooden box or glass terrarium?

Sariss

Location (City and/or State)
Collingwood, Ontario
Hi!

Humphrey our red foot is currently housed in a ZooMed Tortoise Table, which I realize now isn't a fantastic idea because of the amount of humidity needed. Currently we are having a hard time keeping the humidity up - it is hovering around 70 but today it wants to drop more. Using cypress mulch and misting the area.
I am going to get a shower curtain to try and hold the moisture in but I guess there are going to still be openings with the lights?

I have read a lot of conflicting information on terrariums/aquariums. There is a 75gal terrarium for sale currently, and I am wondering if, with a plexiglass lid with holes cut for lights, etc, it may be better for him? Or should I continue to try with the wooden table? If an aquarium is used, how do you stop them from being able to see outside and constantly bonk their faces?

I appreciate any feedback, thanks! :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If you can the best thing is an outdoor enclosure . If not you can get plastic or plexiglass to cover the zoomed table . The tank is easier to keep humidity in . I painted the outside of my tank with black spray paint . I mounted the lights inside my tank closed off the top and added a humidifier .

Sariss

Collingwood, Ontario
Thanks! We do hope to eventually do an outdoor enclosure, but we live in a hugely varied area (it was 30c yesterday, only 12c today!), and we are waiting until we purchase a home with a larger yard (hopefully 3-5 years) to get a nice big one done.

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
I have the zoomed one as well, I used plexiglass wroth a hole for the heat lamp and put in a uv strip light in the hide are, I removed the hide area btw and sut up my own hides. I keep a 3 inch layer of the coco fiber dirt and mist once a day, my humidity stays at a solid 70-80%

Boa249

New Hampshire
I started with my first redfoot in a Tortoise House. One thing I can say is that if you're maintaining proper humidity, the wood will be warped, cracked, and moldy within a couple of years. If it's still in good shape, and you can temporarily rehouse your tort, I'd consider painting the interior with polyurethane or some sort of lacquer to form a moisture barrier.

CritterKeeper27

This discussion is very helpful! My red foots have an open turtle box and I'm having issues with humidity as well. After scanning the forums I'm realizing I really need to step it up in that department!

Also, I'll be relocating to Florida later this year (from MO) and I'm not sure how/if I should change the enclosure. I'm moving to an apartment with a balcony. I thought about putting the turtle box on the balcony, but I'm not so sure. Ideas?

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
Easiest thing for a smaller tort is a cement mixing tub or large Rubbermaid tub. They're water proof and using some chicken wire and plexus glass you can make a lid to hold in the moisture.

Sariss

Collingwood, Ontario
Currently I have placed a shower curtain over the tort table, allowing for proper airflow of course. Humidity is keeping around 80-90 the whole time. We are hoping to make a bigger one in the coming months and properly treat the wood.