Wooden Enclosure?

JEllis

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Hi All,

Quick question: We have a 7 month old (approx) Russian who is very alert, curious, and a total character all around:) We want to move her into something larger, but as she is still small she is not ready for a tortoise table based on everything I have read here (thank you for the care sheets!). Has anyone used a wooden enclosure (example below from google) and can you? She is currently in a tank for humidity and heat purposes, but we were wondering if something like the below could be used until she was ready to upgrade to her adult tortoise table? If not, we will just get a larger tank or bin as some of you have suggested.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I searched and couldn't find an answer!

Thank you again for any thoughts/feedback!

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 21

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Personally, I would just use a large tub until it’s big enough to move up to a full sized table. No point in wasting money on a nice wooden vivarium when it won’t take too long for it to grow, and wooden vivariums have a tendancy to mold even when the wood is covered, especially if the tortoise tries to dig through it :)

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Hello there! I am currently using a zoomed wooden enclosure and my tort LOVES his enclosure. Its also very warm in the room he is in plus he is next to the window so plenty of sunlight/ life. He also gets to go outside and UBV and loves basking and trimming his nails on the wood. I love the wooden enclosure. But I do believe that other enclosures might be better, for now mine is in a wooden one. As mine grows I probably will put him in a tub or a bigger gallon tank.

Attachments

• 0DEBFA0A-E1B1-43E2-9111-1F4168E977E0.jpeg
    0DEBFA0A-E1B1-43E2-9111-1F4168E977E0.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
  • DF73DC97-BC73-4983-85D5-C7E4FB68A2CF.jpeg
    DF73DC97-BC73-4983-85D5-C7E4FB68A2CF.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • D30451B1-0E61-42C7-B93F-AC03BD5F9E23.jpeg
    D30451B1-0E61-42C7-B93F-AC03BD5F9E23.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 19
  • 3B522799-C8C2-483B-8472-278EC1E70DE2.jpeg
    3B522799-C8C2-483B-8472-278EC1E70DE2.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Hello there! I am currently using a zoomed wooden enclosure and my tort LOVES his enclosure. Its also very warm in the room he is in plus he is next to the window so plenty of sunlight/ life. He also gets to go outside and UBV and loves basking and trimming his nails on the wood. I love the wooden enclosure. But I do believe that other enclosures might be better, for now mine is in a wooden one. As mine grows I probably will put him in a tub or a bigger gallon tank.
In contrast, I would recommend against buying zoo med tortoise houses. They mold in any humidity, do not retain moisture or heat, and are not big enough for adults of any species. They are also very over priced compared to what you can get that is the same size or bigger.

Please note that you have a full grown, likely wild caught tortoise, that isn’t going to get much bigger. He requires a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet.

Also be sure to get rid of the colored light, and ditch the ramp bowl for a terra cotta saucer. Your tortoise can see both the color and the light of the red light, and not only does it interfere with their circadian rhythm by essentially having the sun up at night, but it can cause them to eat their substrate. Ramp bowls are flipping hazards, and much harder to use than a simple terra cotta saucer.

nicoleann2214

NY
In contrast, I would recommend against buying zoo med tortoise houses. They mold in any humidity, do not retain moisture or heat, and are not big enough for adults of any species. They are also very over priced compared to what you can get that is the same size or bigger.

Please note that you have a full grown, likely wild caught tortoise, that isn’t going to get much bigger. He requires a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet.

Also be sure to get rid of the colored light, and ditch the ramp bowl for a terra cotta saucer. Your tortoise can see both the color and the light of the red light, and not only does it interfere with their circadian rhythm by essentially having the sun up at night, but it can cause them to eat their substrate. Ramp bowls are flipping hazards, and much harder to use than a simple terra cotta saucer.
Agreed!

TaylorTortoise

Abington

Im highly allergic to mold and I would notice right away of any mold growth and I haven’t had any problems with this tank yet. It’s also owned by someone before me, who never used it. They bought it for a baby tortoise that they recieved from online but the tort had parasites. So they got a new tank (wooden one) and didn’t get the chance to use it for him since he passed