World Pet Day

• Thread starter Maggie Cummings
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

So as some of you may know this is National Pet Month and last Saturday was World Pet Day...so I took Bob to Oregon State University where they were putting on a big to-do and I had been asked to bring Bob.

So for starters after we got him in the Bob Cart the wheels wouldn't turn. He's grown so much that when in the cart his 'bridge' pushes out the sides of the cart against the wheels so they wouldn't turn. Next after getting him in my son's van we couldn't close the door as he has grown so much there is no room between the back seats and the door. But we got the seats pushed forward far enough that Bob got to be in but squished between seat and door so he couldn't move. So try doing that to a dominant male Sulcata. Oh man he was pissed! But we didn't have to go too far to OSU but when we pulled up there was nobody there to help unload Bob so my DIL tried to help and she opened the door before my son got there so Bob flung himself out landing hard on the pavement.
Right away as I was checking him looking for damage I could hear shouts of "there's Bob, look there's Bob!". How fun that is to hear that! He did have chips missing from the side he landed on, but I guess he didn't care. There were many people there who have seen Bob at other events. So as we walked around the camera paparazzi set in and they crowded around so I was pushed away from Bob's head and he got flustered because he couldn't walk where he wanted. So he pushed his way thru and he rammed some jerks legs and he hollered that he was hurt and I got into an argument about how stupid can you be to stand in Bob's way and the guy was saying "jeez, I just wanted a picture". We worked it out. But mostly it was a fun crowd asking questions about Bob..."How old is he? 14, How much does he weigh? 120 pounds, How long did it take him to get that big? How long did it take YOU to get that stupid???
I mostly had a good time, with just a few things that bugged me. One old lady said she had a Sulcata too, who was about 20 years old and was about the size of a dinner plate and hibernated every year. Some how I don't think it was a Sulcata. Anyhow there was such a crowd around him I was trying to answer so many questions and guide him around too and I forgot to take pictures until one little dog all dressed up for Cinco de Mayo ran over and jumped on Bob's back! It was Lily, the dog he had met at an event last year, those were the only pictures I got, so here they are...

2d2avd2.jpg

3599w5c.jpg

b99nbp.jpg

14v51f.jpg

I'm thinking this will be the last time I take him out in public. He is getting too hard to handle and he just has out grown all of our vehicles and I sure wouldn't put him in the IROC- He's been invited to an even next week end at Petco, a big adoption day so I told them Bob could go if they got 2 big strong guys with a pick up truck...:p

Jacob

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Awesome, bobs shell looks alot smoother.
How many pounds does bob weigh now?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is so cool. I think you just need a horse trailer with the drop down back. He could walk right in.:D

judy wayte

5 Year Member
that is so cool, i want to tell you i love your bob stories he is such a pretty tortoise i hope mine turns out like him.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
He probably is thinking "get this fly off my back!". Good looking sulcata you have there! He's so young for such a big boy, it seems.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
So do you think lilly remembers bob?

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Looks like Bob had a great time being followed around by the paparizzi, lol :)

M

Maggie Cummings

lushcious said:
It's funny how dogs like to ride him :p

It's the same dog who met him at a previous event. She's absolutely in love with him...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
LOVE LOVE LOVE Bob!!! I bet he was one pissed off dude on the ride over and then blam ....hit the ground running!!! So glad he only sustained minor damage Maggie, he is so very handsome...:p

I bet you could use one of the quad motorcycle ramps for him to climb in and out of a van or large vehicle....oh wait...you could use a ramp on one side of your iroc-z to let him walk up onto the passenger seat...then seat belt him in....and when you get to the red carpet you can have some of the paparazzi take pics only after they hoist him out like royalty....:p:D;)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
What perfect timing for this post and these photos! I just brought Taco to school yesterday to show the kids and they LOVED her and were so gentle and careful not to startle or frighten her (Bob she is NOT).

Now I will show them what a Sulcata tortoise looks like and can do, so they know how much work a tortoise that size can be. :p

Cheers.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think the dog has learned, if she wants to be in the spotlight, she has to be with Bob. :D

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
OK Maggie...NOT enough pictures. Next time start snapping from the time you get him into the van. You will just have to start thinking of a new way to cart him around, because you CAN"T stop going to these events. I don't know a thing about Sulcata's but anyone can see that Bob is a perfect example of what Sulcata perfection is all about. Boy, did you do a good job with him. There are more people out there that need to learn, so keep your stories and pictures coming....and next time....more pictures.

Stephanie....missed you...glad to see you again.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
WalkingRock gets the same reception! I LOVE to see the "Awwww" in stangers eyes when they see him and "Joy" in the eyes of those who haven't seen him in awhile!

Sounds like Bob is havin some rough travelin'. Don't let this stop Bob from seeing all his adoring fans, just tell the Event People who ask for his presents that they Must provide transportation and handling and you will supply Bob and Supervision. This way you get out of all the Hardwork and get to enjoy all the benefits of owning such a magnificent Tortoise! ;)

I am working on designing an adjustable Harness for strapping WalkingRock in the back of my truck that will also double as a 2 Man Lifting Harness.... for the days when I'm to old to do it myself!

Status
Not open for further replies.