Worried about my turtle

sensei

Location (City and/or State)
PAK
I am quite concerned about my turtle; I had two of them. Unfortunately, one fell ill and didn't survive. She would often sit in the corner for extended periods and stopped eating, which ultimately led to her death recently. The other one, whom I'll call "Demo," was very active and had a hearty appetite. However, I've noticed that Demo has become less active and her appetite has decreased. I'm worried she might be falling ill too, especially since there are some marks on her bottom. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

type of turtle: brown roof turtle

turtlr 1.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What are you housing her in?
How big is the enclosure?
Filtration?
Temp of water?
Basking temp?
Diet?

sensei

PAK
What are you housing her in?
How big is the enclosure?
Filtration?
Temp of water?
Basking temp?
Diet?
not sure but like 20 liters container + normal tap water temps (avg 28.6 c)
. i change the water everyday. diet = cucumber, boiled chicken.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I hope that's wrong, that equals like 5 us gallons.
Her size should be in a much much larger tank.
Diet, also needs much improving.
The temp, is that the water or basking?
Probably much healthier to have a filter then to be adding tap water every day.
@Markw84 hopefully can provide more info.

sensei

PAK
I hope that's wrong, that equals like 5 us gallons.
Her size should be in a much much larger tank.
Diet, also needs much improving.
The temp, is that the water or basking?
Probably much healthier to have a filter then to be adding tap water every day.
@Markw84 hopefully can provide more info.
what can i give her ? she doesn't eat any other thing. i gave her 3 different kinds of turtle feeds, many vegetables but till now only thing she eats was cucumbers and chicken.
is she sick?
what are those marks?
one more question do they sleep in water or land?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
quality pellet food, live aquatic plants in the tank would be good. Water lettuce, water hyacinth, and watercress, romaine lettuce, kale, and other greens. Protein food should only be offered once a week like fish or worms.
If your turtle is a male, then he should only reach about 4" or so, so you'll need at least a 40 gallon tank. Go bigger if you can not smaller
Water temp should be kept at roughly 75 to 78 degrees.
He will need a heat bulb and a UVB bulb stationed above a basking area. The basking area needs to be 85 degrees up to 92, but not hotter than that.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
looks like it could be a fungal or bacterial infection, i'd use a soft toothbrush and lightly scrub it with chlorhexidine, everyday for a week or so, let it dry (leave him out the water for a 30-60 minutes)...... some turtles are prone to shell problems and require really clean water..... this turtle would do best in a pond or really large tank with a large basking area(land/logs/rocks)... you could probably assume that is a wild caught turtle, try offering him live earthworms, keep offering him softened pellets, pelleted fish food works as well and sometimes better than turtle pellets, fish meal should be the first ingredient, those guys do eat plants , a softened fish pellet for plant eating fish would be good to offer also......... sleeping in or out the water depends on the time of year, water temps and land temps..... aquatic turtles do for the most part take to the water at night.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Wow. Great advice and information! Stay with us and let us know the progress.

sensei

PAK
what can i give her ? she doesn't eat any other thing. i gave her 3 different kinds of turtle feeds, many vegetables but till now only thing she eats was cucumbers and chicken.
is she sick?
what are those marks?
one more question do they sleep in water or land?

looks like it could be a fungal or bacterial infection, i'd use a soft toothbrush and lightly scrub it with chlorhexidine, everyday for a week or so, let it dry (leave him out the water for a 30-60 minutes)...... some turtles are prone to shell problems and require really clean water..... this turtle would do best in a pond or really large tank with a large basking area(land/logs/rocks)... you could probably assume that is a wild caught turtle, try offering him live earthworms, keep offering him softened pellets, pelleted fish food works as well and sometimes better than turtle pellets, fish meal should be the first ingredient, those guys do eat plants , a softened fish pellet for plant eating fish would be good to offer also......... sleeping in or out the water depends on the time of year, water temps and land temps..... aquatic turtles do for the most part take to the water at night.
thanks alot