Worried about Russians...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
I knew it was going to get cold tonight in Dallas, but I did not know it was going to rain AND get cold. As soon as it started to rain, I ran out and dug up my two adult Russian Torts (they were in pretty deep) and brought them inside. Did I jump the gun? I did not know if they would be ok in cold rainy weather so I took the safe route. In the future, are they ok out in 48 - 50 degrees while it is raining? They are buried in sphagnum dirt, top soil and cypress mulch about 4 -5 inches down and under a sage bush with great drainage.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
At those cold of temps they will probably try to brumate, deep down into the ground and come back out when it's spring or at least when it warms back up. However, cold and wet will make for a sick tort. This is my first year with a Russian. I will not let him brumate. So, for me you did what I would have done. However, when it gets cold here, Chicago, it will usually be winter time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are just so many variables here. If you want to hibernate them, I think its safest to do so inside. If you don't want to hibernate them, then bringing them in was the right decision.

Either way with rain and cold, inside will be safer and better for them.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
The trouble is, Tom, that it is Texas and we will be right back up in the 80's - 90's next week. I am going to go get a wine fridge from Fry's next week and hibernate them inside or I might go to Home Depot and get the things I need to make an indoor habitat for the winter. I just don't trust the wet winters here. I am glad I brought them inside now, thank you gentlemen. I was starting to think I was being a worry wart. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have the same problem with winters here. SO inconsistent. We'll have a high of 55 and a low of 29 one day and two days later its 85 degrees during the day. In January! My solution has been to go underground. Just 2 or 3 feet underground and the extremes are averaged. 3' underground here stays 80 all summer and 50 all winter. Its kind of weird, but surprisingly consistent. If you built your underground house the right way, rain will not be a concern.

I'm going to do something like this, but on a much smaller scale and with no heat for my young russians who will be moving outside this spring.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-28662.html

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
If you do decide to hibernate, I would definitely do it in a fridge (open door daily) or other regulated environment.
I would also recommend waiting until the end of November or beginning of December. Then they can sleep until the end of February or even mid March, if they aren't losing weight during their hibernation...

Saleama said:
The trouble is, Tom, that it is Texas and we will be right back up in the 80's - 90's next week. I am going to go get a wine fridge from Fry's next week and hibernate them inside or I might go to Home Depot and get the things I need to make an indoor habitat for the winter. I just don't trust the wet winters here. I am glad I brought them inside now, thank you gentlemen. I was starting to think I was being a worry wart. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.