Worried about strange behaviour of baby sulcata

sully_baby

Location (City and/or State)
Matlock
Your vivarium is only 1.5ft high (45 cm). If we take in account substrate (around 4 inches) and lamp fixture height, this leaves us 11-12 inches distance between UVB source and tortoise.

In that case I would use ZooMed T5 Terrarium Hood that you have found (get a 60cm long version) with a Reptisun 5.0 lamp. Ask seller if this hood comes with a free 5.0 lamp (ZooMed sometimes include a free lamp in a box). Later on when you will upgrade the enclosure you can replace just the lamp with Reptisun 10.0 (or Arcadia Desert 12% or Reptiles Systems Zone 3).
Would you say this is also good? I found it in store so I could get it now...

Attachments

• 20240818_143216.jpg
    20240818_143216.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240818_143213.jpg
    20240818_143213.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I thought that this one is perfect?
It’s “HO- T5”
AND it comes with the hood!!!!
If you just buy the bulb what are you going to screw it into when you get home?
Buy this one from Amazon…
You get both bulb and hood..
That way when you need to replace something… you just need to buy the bulb.
Good luck! 🍀👍

Attachments

• IMG_7946.png
    IMG_7946.png
    61 KB · Views: 1

sully_baby

Matlock
I thought that this one is perfect?
It’s “HO- T5”
AND it comes with the hood!!!!
If you just buy the bulb what are you going to screw it into when you get home?
Buy this one from Amazon…
You get both bulb and hood..
That way when you need to replace something… you just need to buy the bulb.
Good luck! 🍀👍
Thank you, this is not available on Amazon in the UK until 2025! I am trying in the store that I found however it keeps rejecting the purchase...it really worries me because I want to fix it asap....

sully_baby

Matlock
Has your tortoise perked up? @sully_baby

Hi, I honestly dont know...yesterday, after nearly 2 days without eating much,sye came out, ate quite a lot, had his soak, and went straight back in his den...and then came out later...and then back in...so that was a positivie.

Today, she did not come out at all, so I took her out, gently woke her up and gave her a soak....I dont know if there is anything wrong with her walk but I recorded it here...

zolasmum

5 Year Member
The surface he is walking on is very smooth and slippery-looking, and also his nails are quite sharp at the ends
A - both these things together may be making him feel unsafe walking. If you put him on a textured surface of some kind, does he walk better ?
Angie

sully_baby

Matlock
The surface he is walking on is very smooth and slippery-looking, and also his nails are quite sharp at the ends
A - both these things together may be making him feel unsafe walking. If you put him on a textured surface of some kind, does he walk better ?
Angie
Thank you...here it is:

After his bath today!