Worried sick

Sophy

Hello again everyone!

I am worried sick about my greek Tortoise. I got him one week ago, from people who treated him poorly, and they didn't know anything about him.

He doesn't eat, didn't eat for a week. The previous owners say he didn't eat much before too. He drinks and pees when I put him in water, but doesn't take initiative to do it himself, so I do this everyday. I also put him in sunlight everyday.

He was active and moved around quite a lot the first two days but now he barely moved and just sleeps, sometimes doesn't even open his eyes when I touch him.

I want to take him to a vet but that's 4 hours away with car from my village, and I don't have a car, there's no public transportation from here (I live in the south of Egypt). First time I will be able to go there is in one week!

When I put my ears to his head I hear a clicking sound, and a bit like if his air ways are clogged. But his nose looks clear to me.

Any idea of what it could be or what I should do?
Any help appreciated. Thank you!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
I would definitely give him a couple of soaks in luke warm water, twice daily and make sure he has a nice warm area in his enclosure, at all times. Maybe he is cold.
Maybe he does have something in his throat.
The water depth should come to the bottom of his shell. He should be able to easily walk.
Can you post a picture of his enclosure and him? A good shot of his face, eyes, mouth?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He may have a respiratory infection. Set him up in a smaller hospital tank. Anything will do, just small so you can moderate the temperature better. Fix it so the tank is an overall 85F degrees. Soak the tortoise daily or even twice a day, in warm water for about a half hour each time. Set the soaking pan near where the light shines down, not directly under the light, but right at the edge.

If it is a respiratory infection he probably should have some antibiotics, but since you can't take him to the vet, really all you can do is get him warmer than normal and soak him.

Sophy

Ok thank you all! I am making sure he is warm enough now, and I continue with the warm soaks.
Unfortunately I don't have a camera right now but I do have a close up pic from his face from 4-5 days ago, but it's not so good..
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/attachment.php?aid=69546

I took him to the local pharmacy yesterday, and they called a vet and said he probably has a cold. They prescribed antibiotics "Cefdin" (for humans) and said I should give him this 2 times a day. So my friend gave him 2 doses already, one last night and one in this morning, but I don't feel so sure about this... So I tried to find information about this "Cefdin", but I don't see anywhere on the internet that it can be used for tortoises, or animals at all for that matter... Now I'm scared he will get some problems from this. Anyone knows anything about this?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
What a beautiful wild tort....gorgeous. I would hesitate on giving him the meds...I mean what prescribed strength are you giving him?

What is the type of enclosure are you keeping him in at present? I mean does he walk all over the yard with free access or is he in an indoor enclosure? If indoors, what type of substrate are you using? What type of light/uva-uvb are you offering him? What is the diet you are offering him? How long did your friend have the tort?

If this tort was removed from the wild then he will take alot longer to adjust to any change of his environment....so patience is of utmost importance...also, provide alot of places he can hide in/under...