Worried

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post a pic of your enclosure and we can maybe tell you what are flipping hazards.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
It's too bright and not enough areas for him to hide and feel secure.
That light that is pointing at an angle should point straight down.
Also what is the ambient temp where the lights are not shining.

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
This has nothing to do with the tipping over, but how can you keep up the high humidity needed with a partial screen top? Do you have another top that you just took off to take the picture?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
This has nothing to do with the tipping over, but how can you keep up the high humidity needed with a partial screen top? Do you have another top that you just took off to take the picture?
Mystic It's all related to why he's tipping. He's not relaxed and doesn't feel secure. Get the perimeters and enclosure correct and he will calm down. My guess is he only has options of hot or cold and it's too bright.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Mystic It's all related to why he's tipping. He's not relaxed and doesn't feel secure. Get the perimeters and enclosure correct and he will calm down. My guess is he only has options of hot or cold and it's too bright.

All need to be addressed; however, the tipping hazards are kinda obvious whether its a brightly lit/dry enclosure or a dim/humid enclosure.

@Daniel88 - I would remove the bridge/ramp thing below the basking light. This could be a hazard. I'm not sure where you find him when he is upside-down, but just because you haven't found him up-side-down before, does not mean he hasn't flipped in the past. The half log could also be a hazard, but he does need a hide.

For the enclosure: You will want to get the humidity up to prevent pyramiding. I assume this is a redfoot baby? You won't need a basking light, just a ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat, with it set just above 80 F. This way it stays at the desired temp 24/7 with no added light. But all of this will be impossible without a proper lid. You will need to cover that screen with tin-foil to prevent heat and humidity from escaping. When you upgrade enclosures, look for a "closed chamber". If you are not familiar with them, use the search function on this forum.