Worried

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Mary Knobbins hasn't eaten for 5 days and really hasn't moved much for the last 24 hours. This morning I tried to shove her out the door, but she fought me so hard I gave up. frankly, I don't think I have ever had a Sulcata w/eating problems. I'm kinda worried because I have been roaming my neighborhood collecting dandelions. It's been rainy in the low 40's and she's supposed to go out and graze or eat fresh hay w/some greens.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I heard on the news today that your area is supposed to get a pineapple snow storm soon and she can maybe feel it coming ? for Mary Knobbins. I know that's a weird name to call it but they call it that because of where it's coming from. It's rain coming from the tropics? that turns to snow in your area soon.?

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I'd say if she has been a good eater typically, then the weather might be the biggest cause for not eating. As mentioned above, your in for some "WEATHER". She might be sensing it.
Keep plying her with her favorites, and as @Yvonne G mentioned, check the temp's inside.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I am going through the same thing with Opo. He is acting different than last year at this time. I pulled him out again today. He ate some food that was sitting there most of the day. Turned around and went to bed. It was close to 70°. Opo used to love that temp.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I may be silly for thinking this but I can't not think it. Everything has been through a shut down with the pandemic. I even saw on the news how a lot of pollution cleared up while all the shutdowns went on. Maybe the weather is actually more normal this year which we haven't seen for many years and it's a big change. I'm sure torts that are so regulated by the seasons would really feel it more than us. This is just a hypothetical thought.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I may be silly for thinking this but I can't not think it. Everything has been through a shut down with the pandemic. I even saw on the news how a lot of pollution cleared up while all the shutdowns went on. Maybe the weather is actually more normal this year which we haven't seen for many years and it's a big change. I'm sure torts that are so regulated by the seasons would really feel it more than us. This is just a hypothetical thought.
That could be, with the traffic gone from major cities in India. They could see the Himalayas because of no pollution. Some young adults had never seen them from the city before.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Mary Knobbins hasn't eaten for 5 days and really hasn't moved much for the last 24 hours. This morning I tried to shove her out the door, but she fought me so hard I gave up. frankly, I don't think I have ever had a Sulcata w/eating problems. I'm kinda worried because I have been roaming my neighborhood collecting dandelions. It's been rainy in the low 40's and she's supposed to go out and graze or eat fresh hay w/some greens.
After 6 days Opo finally pooped (constipated). I put his heat up to 100 for 4 or 5 hrs yesterday. Found some acorns????? inside his poo. I am going to feed him cactus and pumpkin. I think the constipation was from inactivity. He peed a lot 3 days ago with small amounts of soft urates. Today he also peed with a lot of soft urates. The penny is for reference. 20211129_142123.jpg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I went around my neighborhood this morning collecting fresh dandelion greens for Mary K. she is eating and she peed, so like I learned in AA..the one thing you can count on...if I eat today...I may sh*t tomorrow...so I'll be looking for Sulcata poop tomorrow...
her's will be without acorns...holy cats!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
That could be, with the traffic gone from major cities in India. They could see the Himalayas because of no pollution. Some young adults had never seen them from the city before.
Yes and in Venice the water became clear enough to see fish. I've even seen lately that there was a big unexpected bloom of coral. I wish I could remember where that was but I only caught the last part of the article on the news.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
After 6 days Opo finally pooped (constipated). I put his heat up to 100 for 4 or 5 hrs yesterday. Found some acorns????? inside his poo. I am going to feed him cactus and pumpkin. I think the constipation was from inactivity. He peed a lot 3 days ago with small amounts of soft urates. Today he also peed with a lot of soft urates. The penny is for reference. View attachment 336816
Oh me oh my holy crap! I'm so glad my little guy can't eat one of those whole!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
After 6 days Opo finally pooped (constipated). I put his heat up to 100 for 4 or 5 hrs yesterday. Found some acorns????? inside his poo. I am going to feed him cactus and pumpkin. I think the constipation was from inactivity. He peed a lot 3 days ago with small amounts of soft urates. Today he also peed with a lot of soft urates. The penny is for reference. View attachment 336816
Why would you raise the temp too 100?
That's a basking temp. Sick temp 85-90 normal temp 80-85.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Why would you raise the temp too 100?
That's a basking temp. Sick temp 85-90 normal temp 80-85.
I just did it for awhile. Hoping to help get his bowels moving. He hadn't basked for 6 days. I had my brother come over and help me lift him in a pool of warm water after turning the heat up.
Was that not a good idea?
I don't want to hurt Opo.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I just did it for awhile. Hoping to help get his bowels moving. He hadn't basked for 6 days. I had my brother come over and help me lift him in a pool of warm water after turning the heat up.
Was that not a good idea?
I don't want to hurt Opo.
I wouldn't do that. Dehydration could be a reason for not pooping and then putting him in only 100 degree temps he can't get out of would dehydrate him more.
A long soak in a large container he can move in, a car ride, cucumber and lettuce, watery foods can all help.