Would like help planning for tortoise

VineBoomSoundEffect

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Hello everyone. I've had a fascination with reptiles my whole life, but never the time nor means to care for them. This however has changed. Money is coming in, I have enough outdoor space that could be pasture, and I have the desire. All that is left is the tortoise, which I MIGHT acquire on the 23rd at Repticon (or else just supplies like lighting). A whole 3 weeks of actual planning instead of just hypothetical and wishing. I even picked out a name already: "56k Dial Up Modem". Will probably shorten that to "Fiddy", but I plan on insisting any vet use the full name. It'll be great!

But in all seriousness, before I make mistakes that harm the wellbeing of an animal, I have a few questions to ask, and want to make sure my numbers are good. I'll finish reviewing some searched threads, then post a full rundown of the plan.

Happy to soon properly join the wonderful club of sentient rock owners :)

VineBoomSoundEffect

Georgia
It just occured to me the bad jokes and my dumb user name might give an impression I am only buying a tortoise as a joke. This is not my intent. I give all my pets names that are funny (to me) and technology related. For example, my cat is Alan Purring, and I have a colony of mourning geckos collectively named Conficker. I do not however, acquire animals solely to be a living joke, and put in months of research before any acquisition.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome!

You are going about this whole thing the RIGHT way. Good for you. You will be rewarded for your intelligent choices with a happy tortoise keeping experience and a healthy tortoise.

If you tell us what species you are interested in, we can link the correct care info for you. We can also help you find one of the rare breeders who starts babies correctly, since most do not.

You go right ahead with your quirky names, if that increases your enjoyment of the reptile hobby!

VineBoomSoundEffect

Georgia
Hello and welcome!

You are going about this whole thing the RIGHT way. Good for you. You will be rewarded for your intelligent choices with a happy tortoise keeping experience and a healthy tortoise.

If you tell us what species you are interested in, we can link the correct care info for you. We can also help you find one of the rare breeders who starts babies correctly, since most do not.
Thank you. I was perusing the Sulcata section already, but I have my heart on either a sulcata or a redfoot. In the case of a sulcata, I actually lean more toward getting a rescue, as Clint from Clint's Reptiles pleaded potential new owners.

I'll keep browsing and come back if I have any questions, but one quick question I can ask is whether high outdoor humidity and frequent summer rain is bad for sulcatas. I know high humidity can cause respiratory issues, but I'm not sure exactly how high is too high. I live west of Atlanta, so it gets hot and muggy in the summer.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your info about high humidity causing respiratory issues is old outdated info. Forget what you have learned and just stick with what you learn from this forum.
High humidity is great for all tortoises specially the two you mentioned. If a tort gets cold with high humidity, that's when the respiratory problems come in. Hot and humid is good. Humid and cold is bad.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you. I was perusing the Sulcata section already, but I have my heart on either a sulcata or a redfoot. In the case of a sulcata, I actually lean more toward getting a rescue, as Clint from Clint's Reptiles pleaded potential new owners.

I'll keep browsing and come back if I have any questions, but one quick question I can ask is whether high outdoor humidity and frequent summer rain is bad for sulcatas. I know high humidity can cause respiratory issues, but I'm not sure exactly how high is too high. I live west of Atlanta, so it gets hot and muggy in the summer.
Barb is right. Almost everything you read on tortoise care is going to be the old wrong out-dated info.

The problem you will have with a sulcata in GA is what to do with it in winter. They should not be cooped up in small quarters for weeks on end. Its not good for them. With a RF, you can at least maintain a whole room or a large shed for them in winter. A sulcata needs a huge enclosure.

Here is the correct care info for sulcatas:

Compare that to what you've read or watch on YT. Questions are welcome.