Would you House tortoise together?

Ramos

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
I'm interested in getting back into tortoises again. But can't decide on one type. Have any of you raised turtles together? Any issues? I'm interested in a radiated, salcata or leopard tortoise. And living in Minnesota they will have a warm room in the house during winter. Can they be in the same area? Or separate them?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome, Ramos!

The separation of the two leopard and sulcata isn't quite as important as keeping the radiated away from those species, because they come from the same continent and very similar habitats. It's still not a good idea to keep those two together, for different reasons, mainly the sulcata's size.

Besides not mixing species, we don't advise to have two tortoises together, same species or not. With only two, you end up with a dominant and a submissive. The submissive tortoise doesn't thrive, tends to not grow and sometimes stays hidden so much he dies. Groups of three or more usually work, but even in a group you may end up with a bully.

Tortoises have territories. In the wild a tortoise will chase another tortoise out of his territory, fighting sometimes to the death. In captivity, that's not an option because the 'invading' tortoise has nowhere to go. He's fenced in.

Tortoises don't need or want a companion. That's putting human feelings on an animal. They are perfectly happy being an only child.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I'm interested in getting back into tortoises again. But can't decide on one type. Have any of you raised turtles together? Any issues? I'm interested in a radiated, salcata or leopard tortoise. And living in Minnesota they will have a warm room in the house during winter. Can they be in the same area? Or separate them?
A warm room in a house is no place for even one Sulcata! They grow very rapidly into 100lb+ bulldozers. They need lots of outdoor space and very sturdy walls - they're quite capable of walking straight through a partition wall in a house.

Leopard tortoises, like Sulcatas, cannot hibernate. They're still pretty big and a room indoors won't be big enough in the medium-long term.

I suggest you consider a smaller species that is more suited to indoor enclosures. However, you must keep in mind that the bare minimum space for a full size smaller tort like a Russian is 4'x6' - just for one tortoise - but at least you have hibernation as an option with Russians and other Testudo.

Ramos

Minnesota
Thanks for the info! I have the turtle bug!! It's so hard to decide on just one. Will do more research. I love sulcatas. But trying to find a smaller species to start with.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
By all means, get more than one. Some of us have multiples. But the thing is each species needs its own habitat. Each tortoise needs its own habitat. And the habitats MUST be big enough - not some stingy little aquarium that fits in the corner of your living room.

Kaliman1962

I live in northern Illinois, so cold here as well. I have an Ibera Greek. manageable, & can live in the house no problem